• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Nice 45-S Walker

23 posts in this topic

Whoa, that image is almost psychadelic! It could set of a Geiger counter! smile.gif

Looks like some sort of color misadjustment occurred, but I agree that it could be a prize.

James

Don't know about the bright colors but, isn't that classic AT according to the Campbell video (same color on top & bottom of letters)? Or, does that just apply to rainbow toning?

Regis

I prefer the negative of the coin:

1280566-04158796ocularge.jpg

Post a pic of this beastie when you get it!

Hoot

1280566-04158796ocularge.jpg.63b03c3fc0c572d9508002c097b9b7a8.jpg

So if this is NT, what would cause this type of toning? The toning looks so evenly distributed across the coin. What would be the toning source?

Just a guess... Mint Set Toning

So if this is NT, what would cause this type of toning? The toning looks so evenly distributed across the coin. What would be the toning source?

Just a guess... Mint Set Toning

That's what I would say too,it will be interesting to see how this one looks in hand.

Hayden

BIN this one on eBay from a well respected Forum Member "across the street". Here is the Reverse of the coin and the grade. I most definately will post my pic of the coin when it arrives. grin.gif

04158796rcularge.jpg

04158796olarge.jpg

The image appears to be significantly turbo-charged. The coin did not come from an original US Mint Set because there were no sets issued in 1945. However, the "feel" of the toning, as I am interpreting it in the images, is one of NT.

The image appears to be significantly turbo-charged. The coin did not come from an original US Mint Set because there were no sets issued in 1945. However, the "feel" of the toning, as I am interpreting it in the images, is one of NT.
You know I did not even think about that.. I am thinking 1936 like the proof years... 1947 is the start of mint sets... Thats still not to say it could not have been placed in one after the fact.

It might have been placed there after the fact, though unlikely, but subsequently it would not be from an "original" US Mint Set.

It might have been placed there after the fact, though unlikely, but subsequently it would not be from an "original" US Mint Set.

Very true.

Here is the Sellers listing on the coin:

A superb original gem grade walking liberty example. Gorgeous original skin still intact. Obviously never dipped or cleaned. Fantastic hints of original rainbow MS tone gracing both sides. I cannot emphasize enough the terrific original MS eye-appeal of this coin. Solid MS65 gem surfaces with absolutely no wear. Rare with such original appearance.

Rest assured that great time and effort is taken to photo the coins exactly as they actually appear. It would be a waste of time for all involved if I were to send you a coin that you will just end up returning.

What say you now? Here are my pic's using different lighting methods.

Two OTT-LITE's:

45Swalkerobvslab.jpg45Swalkerrevslab.jpg

45Swalker2OTTobv.jpg

45Swalker2OTTrev.jpg

One OTT-LITE:

45Swalker1OTTobv.jpg

45Swalker1OTTrev.jpg

One 60W Incand:

45Swalker60Wobv.jpg

45Swalker60Wrev.jpg

One 60W Reveal:

45Swalkerrevealobv.jpg

45Swalkerrevealrev.jpg

One 75W Halogen:

45Swalkerhalogenobv.jpg

45Swalkerhalogenrev.jpg

The toning goes up on the rim on this one – thought that was a sign of being

obviously AT. These exceptions to the rules drive me nuts. It may indeed

be NT, but now I’m of the opinion that if it varies from the “classic naturally

toned” look (following every NT rule), I would stay away.

Hays

There are actually very few "rules" about toning other than to look at the coin in its entirety and attempt to parse out why the coin looks the way it does.

This is not pointed at you, Hays, but the PCGS and NGC boards have been saturated lately with folks commenting on "rules" for toning.

Rest assured that great time and effort is taken to photo the coins exactly as they actually appear. It would be a waste of time for all involved if I were to send you a coin that you will just end up returning.

What a waste of time for all involved. That coin looks nothing like the auction image. Of course we knew it couldn't, but I was expecting it to look better than that. I'm not too fond of that crackel toning, whether it NT or AT. It does have some color around the rims though.

There are actually very few "rules" about toning other than to look at the coin in its entirety and attempt to parse out why the coin looks the way it does.

This is not pointed at you, Hays, but the PCGS and NGC boards have been saturated lately with folks commenting on "rules" for toning.

TomB,

You know, I usually write too much, but lately I’m guilty of not completing

my thought.

I was thinking that I personally would stick to bag-toned Morgans. I would do

this because I like the toning they have and I’m confidant that I could pick the

NT coins that I would want to purchase.

“The Rules” come from an AT video and a great post by Ctcollector . ( CT's post )

You are right that there aren’t many. All I’m saying is that for me I would go with

a bag-toned Morgan – and that Morgan better follow these basic guidelines. If

it doesn’t I’m keeping my money in my pocket. Coins can tone different

ways. I’m sticking with the one I know, that’s all.

Hays