• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You Determine The Value Of POP 1 Coins?

3 posts in this topic

How do you place a value on a POP 1 Coin. Would you look at what the next lowest graded coin sold for then add "X"? When I first purchased this coin there were zero listed in the NGC Census. I sold the coin to a great fan of Toned/Lustrous Early Commem's smile.gif then purchased it back. I emailed NGC about this coin not being in the Census with a pic of the coin in the Old Fatty NGC holder. It is now a POP 1. cool.gif My one and only. None graded at this level at PCGS either. It's graded MS66 RB.

1913lincolnobv.jpg

1913lincolnrevsmall.jpg

Ask someone who knows. I mean it . . . there are some serious Lincoln collectors (whose names I'm sure you know) as well as dealers who will appraise the coin for you. Short of seeing the results of an actual auction, this is probably the closest that you'll come to determining market value.

Edited to add: I like it. tongue.gif

In your case the question is made much more difficult because the coin will not be viewed as the finest by many collectors because the color designation is not as "high" as it could be. When you consider that many Lincoln cents are submitted in the hope that they will get both a high grade and the RD designation, you come to realize that many wonderful RB or BN coins are underrepresented by the TPGs because they do not get a chance to see them.

If this coin is not prohibitively scarce in MS65RB, the undergrade, then I would make a first approximation of value by looking at the MS64RD and MS65RD values, as long as neither of those is prohibitively scarce, either.