• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning update once more....

15 posts in this topic

Here is a series of pictures.

First one is on 1/7/06

Second is 3/28/06

Third one is 5/10/06

Fourth Today 6/10/06

1859o.jpg

1859ot.jpg

1859o1.jpg

1859otp.jpg

This is happening rather fast in the napkin if you ask me. Its starting to get really pretty. The last image taken today was taken to bring out the color in the coin. Opinions? Thoughts? Other?

I'll have to check my CBH to see how it's doing.......it would be interesting to see how the results differ on the two coins if there is any difference at all? thumbsup2.gif

I like the look of the Obverse but it looks like very little change is occuring on the reverse in the last two pictures 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll have to check my CBH to see how it's doing.......it would be interesting to see how the results differ on the two coins if there is any difference at all? thumbsup2.gif

I like the look of the Obverse but it looks like very little change is occuring on the reverse in the last two pictures 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You are correct in that very little has changed. I am not sure why, but I am not going to question it.

I don't have the dates of my experiment like you do but here is an image of the coin when I first purchased it....it was cracked out within a week of gettin it:

1825CBH2.jpg

I would say that I started my experiment around the time you posted you second image...maybe even between the 2nd and 3rd but I am not sure the exact date....

Here it is as of today.....I am amazed at how much color is present....it is starting to tone considerably on the obverse but the reverse toning seems much more gradual like in your example thumbsup2.gif

1825Obv3.jpg

1825Rev3.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First one is on 1/7/06

Second is 3/28/06

Third one is 6/10/06

Fourth Today 7/10/06

Oh my gosh! He's posting from the future!!! foreheadslap.gif

First one is on 1/7/06

Second is 3/28/06

Third one is 6/10/06

Fourth Today 7/10/06

Oh my gosh! He's posting from the future!!! foreheadslap.gif

I did not even see I missed the dates...

Shane your coin is toning oddly. If I saw my coin and did not know the story, then I would claim album. If I saw your toning I would be like HMM.. Not sure. Anyhow it will be fun to see how yours turns out. I think you added some eye appeal already.

No worries, mate! I knew what you meant...although if you can PM me the track results for next week, I'd appreciate it! poke2.gif

Interesting set of images you're posting. I would suggest that once you remove the coin from the napkin permanently, you continue to post images for the next several months so we can see how stable the toning is.

No worries, mate! I knew what you meant...although if you can PM me the track results for next week, I'd appreciate it! poke2.gif

Interesting set of images you're posting. I would suggest that once you remove the coin from the napkin permanently, you continue to post images for the next several months so we can see how stable the toning is.

Yes I will keep you and other updated. I shall return after 2 weeks. and I prolly will not check the coin till late into august.

Shane your coin is toning oddly. If I saw my coin and did not know the story, then I would claim album. If I saw your toning I would be like HMM.. Not sure. Anyhow it will be fun to see how yours turns out. I think you added some eye appeal already.

I agree...I would have thought a more even tone would develop but since I didn't dip the coin to remove potential contaiminats from the surface prior to the experiment it could have something to do with what was already on the surface + the napkin. My coin was blast white so maybe their was some dip residue or something that is causing the blue toning.....but then again I see blue developing on yours as well..........

We will see how it goes and if I need to pull the plug on the experiment I will. thumbsup2.gif

Bruce,

The eye appeal of your coin has improved greatly due to your experiment in my opinion. thumbsup2.gif

I have had similar experiences in the past using silver dip and colored tissues. I used to buy a lot of foreign coins for my collection and a few times I happened upon a coin that had great surfaces, but had unsightly toning.

My wife had this old bottle of silver dip with the rest of the household cleaners at the time, so I thought what the heck, let me try it once and see how the coin comes out. I dipped the coin and then washed it with liquid soap and water followed by a long rinse of running water. I then used compressed air to blow the water off the coin and folded the coin in a colored tissue for a day to be sure that it would be dry before I put it into a 2X2.

When I un-wrapped the coin from the tissue the next day, I was shocked to find that the coin had developed a very eye appealing slight pink tone. I used the same procedure on two or three other coins over the next year or so, and while none of these developed the pink tone that the first coin had, all toned to a nice light gold.

The toning has proven to be very stable, remaining the same as the day the coins were removed from their tissues, and none of the coins including the one with the slightly pink tone would be suspected of being AT in my opinion.

One other thing, I am not saying that this will work on every coin, every time. In fact, I do not recommend that anyone try to duplicate my results on their coins because I truly believe my experience is the exception rather than the rule, and it is far more likely that a coin will come out with unsightly toning, if not ruined outright by trying to make it look better.

John

Continued good luck with your experiment. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

John

Bruce, I like the look of your coin very much. I would say however that if it were mine, I would stop the experiment now. I would take it out of the napkin, and let it be. If you ask me, much more and it will start to get too dark. Now, I don't have any experience in this area, but I like the look of it the way it is now.

Bruce, I like the look of your coin very much. I would say however that if it were mine, I would stop the experiment now. I would take it out of the napkin, and let it be. If you ask me, much more and it will start to get too dark. Now, I don't have any experience in this area, but I like the look of it the way it is now.

I agree. The blue is very eye appealing, and I like it as is.

Bruce, I concur with this statement. It looks great now but I'm getting a little nervous that it will tone too dark.