• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Boundary between Classic and Modern Coinage?

41 posts in this topic

I agree completely - now if we can just get the rest of the numismatic community to accept the idea.

I don't really care what the names are or the terms used - but we sure need more two for the sake of accuracy.

I would define modern as "Post-allegorical" theme specific. Those ending in:

1938 for the Nickel.

1945-for the Dime.

1931-for the Quarter.

1947-for the Half Dollar.

1935-for the Dollar.

1933-for the Gold-Pratt and St. Gaudens designs.

...You could also make a case that the Indian Cents were the last Classical cent design.

This makes more sense than anything I've heard to date.

One could also add an "ultramodern" designation for the quarter in 1999 and the dollar in 2000.

Having said that, I would also like to offer up this concept: the fact there is so much discussion over exactly what is modern and what is classic instructs us all on just how meaningless the argument is.

Unless, of course, our intent is to rag on the coins another person has chosen to collect.

We could have Federal Coinage (prior to 1837), Classical Coinage (Seated Lib.), Neo Classical (i.e Barbers and Morgans), Allegorical (i.e Buffalos, Merc's, St. Lib's, Walkers, Peace Dollars), Modern (dead Presidents) and Post-Modern (Gold Commems.).

Whoa!!!! There's a seed of sheer genius planted in here.

Oldtrader is right. We definitely need some hard and fast definitions and some more agreement on them. Several of the suggestions have sounded excellent. There do need to be few enough divisions that collectors can remember them and their occurance at natural breaks would facilitate this. No doubt these will need a little tweeking at least;

pre-1837 Federal

1838-1892 Classic

1892-1931 ?

1932-1965 Neo Classic

1965-1998 Modern

post 1998 Ultra Modern

We definitely need some hard and fast definitions

Why the hell do we need definitions? Coins are coins....collect what you like and forget it. Modern, Classic, neo-Moronic. Who cares? confused.gif

jom

We definitely need some hard and fast definitions

Why the hell do we need definitions? Coins are coins....collect what you like and forget it. Modern, Classic, neo-Moronic. Who cares? confused.gif

jom

We need definitions so we know who to appropriately bash. grin.gif

We need definitions so we know who to appropriately bash.

OK then. I'm all for it. 27_laughing.gif

jom

We need definitions so we know who to appropriately bash.

OK then. I'm all for it. 27_laughing.gif

jom

I can see by your icon you like gold. Weirdo. wink.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

As collectors of United States coins we seem to have a rather narrow view of the distinction between classical and modern coinage. Numismatic scholars refer to anything made subsequent to the invention of the screw press (c.1600) as modern! grin.gif

1792 - 1855 - Classic

1856 - 1921 - Neo-Classic

1921 - 1964 - Post Classic or Pre-Modern ( don't have a good name for this time period )

1965 - Modern

If I were to put a defining point in between modern and non modern coins I think this is about the best way to say it. In 1965 the whole process changed, out with the old and in with the new and the sms was born. Coinage changed from this period and it just seems natural to palce the modern term here.

Lots of good posts on this thread especially about not being able to classify coins into just 2 categories and for modern and classical coin designations being different to different collectors with no definite timeline. Some might say a modern coin is anything minted after the year they were born or something no longer found in circulation but to me a classical coin still feels like anything without a deceased's presidents face, or a famous woman's face, on the obverse.