• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Test come all and try! --Grade Revealed!--

25 posts in this topic

Here we have a 1979 S Susan B. Anthony. Take a gander at the grade. Enjoy and Good Luck.

1979s.jpg

This one is very nice coin. This coin would be a lock for MS66 and a serious shot at MS67, had it not been for the ugly hit on her head. The strike is on par for the series, and there is no wear at all. Well with all that taken into consideration and with modern grading. This coin still fits the MS65 bill rather nice. Luster on this coin is killer. which did not show up well in the photos. Never really does with clad pieces. The reason this was posted, because someone might try submitting some of these that look real simular, and would be dissapointed with the results.

YES! I'm the first to guess! I like that because I can't accidentally see someone else's guess. I don't know how thisw coin wears but I think there is some in the middle of her hair...that would make it an AU. It otherwise looks quite free of marks so I say an AU58

Hays

MAN YOU ALL ARE FAST!!!!

I would not be surprised to see that in an NGC-66 holder. However, I wouldn't go above 65 if it has very nice luster, but still, with that bullet hole in her forehead, I lean toward 64.

Haven't seen one of these in a few weeks..

Gouge in forehead and activity on cheek. Is that wear on the eagles cheek? AU-58 from my view. ...now to look at others and find out how far off I am..

I thought all SBA's were the same grade "Butt Uggggggly"!!! poke2.gif

Some board members here do collect them. The design lacks a bit if you ask me, but what do I know.

Well, I guess I don't have an excuse not to try my hand at grading this one...

Mmm...I'm not entirely convinced that the 'wear' some people are referring to is not just a weak strike. The bag marks on the coin, particularly that nasty blow to poor Susan's head would drop it down to MS-63 to MS-64 range if I had to put a grade on it. There's also a bit of carbon specking on the reverse rim and above the Eagle's head, and is that milk spotting beside Susan's head? I'd tend towards 64 without the forehead mark, but it's really distracting me, so I must lean toward this being a MS-63 coin that's weakly struck. With another photo, I might change my opinion to AU if the strike turns out to be wear instead, but looking at it, my first impression was 'weak strike.'

Nice coin, though - don't think I'm knocking it. And while many people think these are ugly coins, I think they've got character...I'd set up my buddy with her, but I'd never date her myself :-)

The reverse is very clean! 67 level but the bullet hole in the forehead is the killer.[pun intended grin.gif]

So, 64-65. I can't tell the wear that others are refering to (seems to be strike vs wear to me). confused-smiley-013.gif

I think this coin barely squeaks into an MS-65 holder. If the mark on her Susan's forehead were less prominent, then it would grade MS-66.

Sadly - and my apologies to anyone who collects these - but no matter how high the grade, and no matter if it's proof or not, these coins are flat-out U-G-L-Y, and the design easily ranks as one of the three worst ever intended for regular circulation.

James

I think this coin should be an MS-64, but I would not be surprised to see it in a 65 holder, because the reverse is rather nice.

As far as strike goes, this is actually an average strike, maybe a little better than average. Almost all the detail is there, and what is very important to me in determining strike, the talons are pretty much full. This is just like FBL, or FH, in that Full Talons are not always there, and coins with full talons usually have a decent strike.

So, I would give it a 64, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 65.

I agree the talons are mostly all there, although there's room for more detail from what I can make out on the photo. The Susan's hair, and the eagle's right (left-hand) wing are both sort of weakly struck in my opinion, and the motto seems a bit soft to me as well; I still think the strike is somewhat below average, but as I said before, it could only be the photo.

I agree that it could possibly, possibly be holdered as a 65, depending on the TPG, but I don't think that would be appropriate, considering the notorious head wound. If I was buying it, I'd still evaluate the grade at MS63 / 64 - but I'm a little hard on these girls. Sounds like several people on the board are happy making it 64. With the specks on it, though, I would probably hesitate to pull the trigger, though.

I also feel this is low Uncirculated. MS63-64 tops. Can't begin to go with AU as these coins DO NOT CIRCULATE. Have to go weak weak strike arguments for designs deficiencies.

On a side note, I have never, ever ever ever seen an SBA with attractive toning. Could it be because nobody, and I mean flat out NObody collects them to enough of an extent to have ever put one in an album 27_laughing.gif! Seriously, I would be intrigued to see an album-toned SBA, if anyone has one (not that even toning could improve this design grin.gif ).

James

Here's an old 1980-S proof that I picked up years ago as a kid. It's a bit hazy, but it's got a really neat "golden cameo" effect that looks better in person than in my bad photo. Like I said, I've had it for years and when I was young, I didn't store some of my stuff as well as I should have.

1263756-1980_S.jpg

1263756-1980_S.jpg.32016814b497eda8b3f87398bd0db6e4.jpg

James I got a whole set of those 79, 80, 81 with the proofs. Somhow while being put away they toned nicely. I will one day send them off for grading.

James,here's one of three toned SBA's I've handled:

rainbowsba1980ngcms65.jpg

It was nicer in person than the picture,the rainbow stood out more and the middle was more blue.

BTW,Bruce,I'll take a guess at 65.

Hayden

Hayden, great toned SBA. This has never been a favorite design of mine since its inception. The toning on your coin makes it tolerable.