• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It arived! 1934 Light Motto...

28 posts in this topic

Well he shipped the coin rather fast to me. I recieved the coin today. I will hold off on my opinions on it to see what others think. Be honest with your opinions. Thanks!

1934lm.jpg

It looks MS-64ish to me, owing merely to the amount of luster, but is there some sort of residue on the obverse that needs to be curated?

Any way you look at it, a terrific coin.

James

It looks MS-64ish to me, owing merely to the amount of luster, but is there some sort of residue on the obverse that needs to be curated?

Any way you look at it, a terrific coin.

James

Thats just lighting I think your seeing on the coin. Unless I am missing something?

I see a touch of phlegmy toning. thumbsup2.gif (I'd place a TM symbol after "phlegmy" in recognition of Tom's ownership of the term, but I don't know how to do that). I doubt that the obverse spots are visible without magnification. How does this compare with the typical 25c for this year?

Edited to Add: What are you hiding on the obverse rim at 3k? wink.gif

MSIhavenoidea yeahok.gif

Cool coin though. Bruce, I think the coin is a weak strike but, how did the motto get struck more lightly than the rest of the obverse? Worn dies??

Hays

QUOTE: "Hi Bruce. I circled a few of what I though were flyspecks on the coin."

Now where else could someone get help like that from a professional. Great forum, great forum and people like James and SuperTooth, etc make it so...... 893applaud-thumb.gif

MSIhavenoidea yeahok.gif

Cool coin though. Bruce, I think the coin is a weak strike but, how did the motto get struck more lightly than the rest of the obverse? Worn dies??

Hays

I would reason to that when the engraver made the dies, that was the weakest area on that set of dies. Just my thoughts

QUOTE: "Hi Bruce. I circled a few of what I though were flyspecks on the coin."

Now where else could someone get help like that from a professional. Great forum, great forum and people like James and SuperTooth, etc make it so...... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sure this place has been great and still is. It will be interesting to see what some dealer friends of mine say today, when they see the coin.

The 1934 light motto Washington quarters were made with the same hubs as the 1932 Washington quarters and the faint IGWT was an unintentional design element. This was quickly fixed in later production of 1934 quarters.

I think the coin is MS64. The body of the eagle is fairly marked up, consistent with an MS64 but more than I would expect on an MS65. The obverse is nice, but I really can't tell about the flash, and this would dictate to me whether the coin was high end or low end for the grade. Nice pickup. thumbsup2.gif

The 1934 light motto Washington quarters were made with the same hubs as the 1932 Washington quarters and the faint IGWT was an unintentional design element. This was quickly fixed in later production of 1934 quarters.

I think the coin is MS64. The body of the eagle is fairly marked up, consistent with an MS64 but more than I would expect on an MS65. The obverse is nice, but I really can't tell about the flash, and this would dictate to me whether the coin was high end or low end for the grade. Nice pickup. thumbsup2.gif

So Tom you disagree with what was said across the street by some folks?

I went over and glanced at the thread at PCGS and noticed that some folks called it an AU58. To be honest, the one thing I closely looked at in your image, before I posted the first time, was for impaired luster around the locks by the ear because this does not look like a sharp feature. However, I do not interpret the image as having broken mint luster in that area, I just think it isn't the sharpest strike, so I think it's an MS coin.

I went over and glanced at the thread at PCGS and noticed that some folks called it an AU58. To be honest, the one thing I closely looked at in your image, before I posted the first time, was for impaired luster around the locks by the ear because this does not look like a sharp feature. However, I do not interpret the image as having broken mint luster in that area, I just think it isn't the sharpest strike, so I think it's an MS coin.

I am glad you and me think alike. The 2 dealers who saw it today echoed your same thoughts...

Thanks for the opinions. James this coin may very well need a dip to fix it, but we shall see.

No, Bruce, No! Please don't dip this coin to "fix" it. It is original the way that it is!

Thanks for the opinions. James this coin may very well need a dip to fix it, but we shall see.

No, Bruce, No! Please don't dip this coin to "fix" it. It is original the way that it is!

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Dipping would be the very last option. I rarely dip a coin if at all. But I think I am going to leave it be.

Yea--I was surprised across the street by the so-called experts all calling it AU. It looks just fine as nice original Washington Quarter--perhaps stored in a roll for awhile slightly flattening the highest points.

I can't imagine anybody reasonably calling this coin AU-anything.

If the flyspecks are non-invasive and won't corrode over time (or if I'm simply imagining them...), then by all means don't dip!!

James

I don't think they are going to keep on going. The coin looks very stable if you ask me. I like this one as a backup to my other 1934 Quarter. It is a Heavy Motto.

I agree that you don't have anything to worry about in terms of spotting, in my opinion and based on your images.