• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Images charting the toninng of a coin....

28 posts in this topic

Since everybody wonders how toning really happens and whatnot. The science of it all. I decided I would leave my Seated Half in the napkin, which I put away this time. Here is how the toning has gone...

1859o.jpg

1859ot.jpg

1859o1.jpg

The last images I took last night with the correct lighting finally directly shining on the back giving it that cameod look you see. Thats how the coin really looks like with direct light on it. The obverse is getting more blues to it, and the toning is getting better in my opinion. First image is Jan 7th, 2nd is April 10th, and the last image was last night. Quite Amazing if you ask me, for such a short time. Opinions please. Debate away!

I think it looks much better. I wonder why the reverse hasn't toned in a simmilar manner. So would this be considered AT? When I think of AT, I think of a coin that has been treated via chemicals or heat or both. This coin has just been unconventionally stored.

JJ

I think it looks much better. I wonder why the reverse hasn't toned in a simmilar manner. So would this be considered AT? When I think of AT, I think of a coin that has been treated via chemicals or heat or both. This coin has just been unconventionally stored.

JJ

I would not call this coin AT at all, I am just helping it along now I guess, but time is the key here. Its not like this is happening overnight.

Was the obverse face down during storage (darker toning due to somewhat greater contact with the napkin)?

This progression seems pretty quick to me! Was the starting point a coin that had been dipped recently?

Yarm

Was the obverse face down during storage (darker toning due to somewhat greater contact with the napkin)?

This progression seems pretty quick to me! Was the starting point a coin that had been dipped recently?

Yarm

At first the coin was on my desk obverse up, until shot 2, then after that I wrapped the napkin around it and put it away for safe keeping. I can't say if the coin has been recently dipped, but it did not look like it when I bought the coin back in December

Fascinating test and thanks for sharing with us Bruce. thumbsup2.gif

To my taste I think the coin looks better toned than before. However, I must admit that I had not really noticed the circular lines (scratches?) on the reverse until your most recent picture. tonofbricks.gif The more I look at the first two pictures, the lines are present but did not take on (to my eys) the larger proportion that they do now. It shows that toning can and does bring out good and bad with a coin.

Bruce, what is the actual color 893scratchchin-thumb.gif of the reverse in hand?

Keep us posted as this proceeds. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well I have had a white EF 1825 Bust half in a napkin since 4/12/06....so far I have not seen any changes but I will keep you in the loop along with Images Bruce.....

Here is the coin still in the slab.....it has a small amount of toning but the rest of the coin is blast white....which is why I think it would look a lot better with some nice skin to it. I am not using heat or anything else as I would like the toning to be as natural as possible. I still consider this a form of AT because I am intentionally storing the coin in an environment that will promote toning. To me the question of AT vs NT is answered very simply in one word....intent.

You did not initially intend for the coin to tone...but once you saw that it did you left the coin in the napkin with the intent of toning the coin. I don't think there's anything wrong doing that.......but the coin would be considered AT by me just like a white coin placed into a wayte Raymond album by a knowlegeable collector would be. I think that's the problem with detecting AT vs NT in a lot of cases as the coins can look the same but the intent is much different and you can't prove intent outside a court of law thumbsup2.gif

1825CBH2.jpg

Fascinating test and thanks for sharing with us Bruce. thumbsup2.gif

To my taste I think the coin looks better toned than before. However, I must admit that I had not really noticed the circular lines (scratches?) on the reverse until your most recent picture. tonofbricks.gif The more I look at the first two pictures, the lines are present but did not take on (to my eys) the larger proportion that they do now. It shows that toning can and does bring out good and bad with a coin.

Bruce, what is the actual color 893scratchchin-thumb.gif of the reverse in hand?

Keep us posted as this proceeds. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The reverse looks just like the last picture with direct OTT light on it and without that light a golden color, but not so cameod

Well I have had a white EF 1825 Bust half in a napkin since 4/12/06....so far I have not seen any changes but I will keep you in the loop along with Images Bruce.....

What do you expect, Shane, you can't use napkins taken from the hospital cafeteria. You have to get some, preferably used, from TB, BK or Mickey D's.

Chris

is this Scotties, Kleenex or Stop and Shop brand????

Taco Bell Napkin

Oh gosh (not the word intended), I love Taco Bell. I'll pick up some of their napkins when my zantac comes up for renewal and I can eat one of those chalupas!

To me the question of AT vs NT is answered very simply in one word....intent.

That is what the subtle voice of my conscience has always told me but I've been trying not to listen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mine is a fast food as well....it's yellow but I don't remember where it came from? bumpit.gif

I'm gonna te-ell! Shane goes to Wen-dys! Shane goes to Wen-dys! Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!

Chris

Mine is a fast food as well....it's yellow but I don't remember where it came from? bumpit.gif

I'm gonna te-ell! Shane goes to Wen-dys! Shane goes to Wen-dys! Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!

Chris

Hey you could be right Chris.....that might indeed be where the magic toning napkin came from. So far it is looking like I am going to need to make a run for the border 893applaud-thumb.gif

To me the question of AT vs NT is answered very simply in one word....intent.

That is what the subtle voice of my conscience has always told me but I've been trying not to listen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, if I stick a coin somewhere with the intent of getting it to tone, then wait five years and pull it out only to find it looks exactly the way it did when I put it in, it's AT?

Chris

Hey you could be right Chris.....that might indeed be where the magic toning napkin came from. So far it is looking like I am going to need to make a run for the border 893applaud-thumb.gif

Maybe who knows... I have not tried other napkins, so we shall see..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is being done in this thread is, in my opinion, artificial toning. I don't see how it is different from applying sulfur compounds to the coin to cause copper and/or silver sulfides and sulfates to form and tone the metal.

2Kopeiki

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is being done in this thread is, in my opinion, artificial toning. I don't see how it is different from applying sulfur compounds to the coin to cause copper and/or silver sulfides and sulfates to form and tone the metal.

2Kopeiki

This could be considered AT by some, but I don't think many would call it that. If thats the case then all the Wayte Ramond Album toned coins are AT

2Kopeiki

Yes...I agree and Bruce makes a good point as well......most of the older albums tone coins and many folks use them that way so............I guess everyone could see it differently but I will be happy to consider my coin AT and more attractive if it can acquire a toned skin....not looking for a rainbow....brown would be fine at this point 893applaud-thumb.gif

I would think you coins would continue to turn that golden brown with darker toning around the periphery and lighter toning towards the center. I could also see that blue on the Obverse expanding inward a little and going around the entire periphery. All in all I think the coin could look quite attractive and has a shot at passing for original with the way it's going.

The scratches are always going to be on there but I would think the toning would help to make them less noticable.....but of course all this is speculation on my part 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would think you coins would continue to turn that golden brown with darker toning around the periphery and lighter toning towards the center. I could also see that blue on the Obverse expanding inward a little and going around the entire periphery. All in all I think the coin could look quite attractive and has a shot at passing for original with the way it's going.

The scratches are always going to be on there but I would think the toning would help to make them less noticable.....but of course all this is speculation on my part 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I like your speculation. Thanks for the opinions.

Bruce, there come a point though where you have to say, "When". I think that you're taking a risk by continuing the toning experiment. I think that it will eventually turn black and you will loose the eye-appeal that you've gained.

Bruce, there come a point though where you have to say, "When". I think that you're taking a risk by continuing the toning experiment. I think that it will eventually turn black and you will loose the eye-appeal that you've gained.

I agree 100% but I think I got a bit more time...