• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boby Bagged! Thats what I got for this coin....

20 posts in this topic

Yes the one coin I had at NGC they body bagged. But I am not worried since this coin is still a stunner. Just a bummer of the money spent to have it body bag...

Here is a picture of the coin... Bagged for an obverse scratch... Left side from the "D" on In God We Trust... runs west.. on the coin.. Now its time to dump this worhtless coin since it did not slab frown.gif HAHA j/k I am not dumb, just cuz it body bagged does not mean I am getting rid of it smile.gif

1921.jpg

Boby Bagged!
893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't care what NGC said, I still think that this is a marvelous coin!

Bruce----I agree with Victor---A Nice Coin. However, I certainly see why NGC would BB this piece. My experience with scratches and NGC simply comes down to this. If it can be seen with the naked eye, look out. A BB is in the offing if that scratch detracts from the coin. If, however the scratch is an old one, and can only be detected under power, then they will forgive it or downgrade [netgrade] it by 5--10 points and then slab it. The older and rarer the coin---the more likely they are to be a little forgiving.

Your coin is still a beauty in my eyes. It has wonderful eye appeal---even with the scratch. Bob [supertooth]

It's a great coin despite the scratch.

I've seen a lot of poorly struck 21s with abundant contact marks that are FAR more distracting than that scratch.

I would have bought that coin as well.

You can always send it to ANACS if you insist on having it in a slab.

I will be more than happy to take it, if you really like to dump it, Bruce. grin.gif

Really, who cares about the BB. I know I wouldn't. It's a great looking coin, slabbed or not.

No Bruce, you must rid yourself of this disgrace of a coin. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I’d be willing to help you out there…

Just send it bag and all to ME and you’ll be able to forget all about this terrible coin. devil.gif

If your pic is accurate, the scratch was just one of many reasons they could have BB'd the coin....

What other reasons do you see? I would like to know. Image is fairly accurate

The luster appears too 'glossy' [ie: polished] and they may have had questions concerning the rim toning. That blue shows up predominantly when a coin has been cleaned and then allowed to retone in an album [acceptable for bust 19th century, but NOT for Peace Dollars] or when applied manually.

Again, JMHO off an image. Could be completely out to lunch.

Edited to add: this doesn't mean it's not a pretty or desirable addition to a collection - just that it's got multiple problems that would prevent it from slabbing.

In hand the coin does not look cleaned at all. Retoned or anything else, but I can't be 100% sure of that. I could see them not liking the color the way things are going lately. Thanks for the opinions.

Sorry sorry.gif it got BB'd. Interesting that none of us noticed the scratch that proved fatal when you initially showed the coin to us. Now that you mention it, it is there plain as day. I think it is a wonderful coin to have in your collection even it if is not slabbed.

I'm continually amazed at the amount of power that we collectors have turned over to the TPGs. If only the attitude of the EACers would sweep across the whole collecting community . . . . But at least you received a refund of your submission fee, right? yeahok.gif

I went through an NGC dealer.. I am sure if he gets the fee's back he will let me know.. I might try it with ANACS, for protection..

I'm continually amazed at the amount of power that we collectors have turned over to the TPGs. If only the attitude of the EACers would sweep across the whole collecting community . . . . But at least you received a refund of your submission fee, right? yeahok.gif

When I bought the coin... I wanted this one for my type set, Dansco Album, but I got to thinking what if the Album made the coin ugly looking with some kinda funky toning. So I figured the best way to keep that from happening was to have it slabbed for its protection and mine. I know slabs are not the say all end all about not toning, but I think they provide good protection.

That so-called "scratch" is purely incidental and hardly detrimental to this coin's grade. At most, it might warrant a single point downgrade. I think NGC's giving you the runaround on this one! Call them, or eMail them and find out what the heck is going on with this one.

I agree with TradeDollar that there's something amiss here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

James

I'd take that coin, any time, any where. Wow, what a beautiful strike. For me each coin has its appeal, in the buff's its the lustre, in the 21 Peace you gotta have that strike!

got the peace back in my hand today and me and the 2 dealers just stood there looking at the coin in amazment that it bagged. I guess thaey are just going the safe thing.

got the peace back in my hand today and me and the 2 dealers just stood there looking at the coin in amazment that it bagged. I guess thaey are just going the safe thing.

I'm sorry for your loss and Mom and I send our condolences. When is the wake? I want to party with Liberty!

Chris