• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little help, please...Value of proof sets?

7 posts in this topic

I mentioned in a previous post that I had several proof sets with some issues. Can anyone help me to get a handle on what a fair selling / trading value might be? I'm not particularly interested in keeping them and I've been considering letting them go so I can put the money toward coins more in keeping with my current collection wants. Thanks for your help, everyone!

(drumroll, please)

1999 clad proof set (5 state quarters, cent, nickel, dime, half).

Three cracks in half dollar's case, but the cracks do not penetrate to the outside (i.e. my fingernail doesn't catch on them when I run it across the exterior surface); coins appear to be fine inside; a few very minor scuffs on the 2 cases, nothing major; box shows a little wear; COA included.

2000 clad proof set (5 state 25c, sac, half, dime, nickel, cent)

A few minor scuffs on the holders; several quarter seem to have a little hazing around the edges; little wear on box, COA included.

2005 clad proof set

fingerprint on obv. of Kansas quarter; broad scuff on back of dollar holder; slight wear on box; COA included.

Your best bet on a current market value is to check ebay. The prices people are getting there are fairly decent from what I have seen. but a quick look in a March 2006 Price guide shows....

99 - $85.00

00 - $24.00

05 - $28.00

Hope that helps.

As a side not... take 10% off for the hazing and nothing off for package wear...

Since I don't want to pay for subscription coin prices, I use PCGS's online guide and the 2006 CoinWorld guide. PCGS (http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=proof_sets) says $85, $27, and $31 for those, while CoinWorld says $80-100, $20-25, and does not yet list a price for the 2005. And I'd guess you'd need to knock a little off because of the damage.

In general, the Heritage auction archives are a good place to visit for current coin values.

Signing up at Heritage is free.

Thanks for the values, everyone. I have a pretty good idea of what the undamaged values are for those sets, but I'm not entirely sure of what the prices should be considering the issues with the sets outlined above. Do you agree with Bruceswar - 10% off for the hazing/fingerprint and nothing off for the case wear?

All I can say is that I personally wouldn't pay as much for a cracked case, and I wouldn't even buy a set with problem coins without the intention of cracking it.

We pretty much agree with zrlevin - the only difference being that we would not purchase a set with problem coins for any reason... If the case is cracked on a proof set, the value is (in our opinion) less than half the value of an undamaged, unopened proof set. No one wants to buy seconds (a single coin set made from the unwanted coins of other sets), and most would suspect that at least one of the original coins has been removed from the set. If one coin within a set has a fingerprint on it, and another has a scuff on it, you can pretty much count on giving that set away...