• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Collector Needs Help.

9 posts in this topic

AbsoluteZero posed a couple of questions in the Papermoney section and wasn't able to get an adequate response thread here . Can anyone please provide input about scarcity and pricing of the following:

Reverse clad layer missing:

1219228-Quarterfront.jpg1219229-Quarterback.jpg

Printing error:

1209494-5dollarfront.jpg1209497-5dollarback.jpg

Thanks! cloud9.gif

Victor, AZ should check Fred Weinberg's site, www.fredweinberg.com

Click on "Inventory" for his complete listing. Coins missing clad layers are listed under "Miscellaneous". He has quite a few that range in price from $300-$600. There are also some misprinted notes in that section, too!

Chris

i do not see any green or red fibers in the paper

i wonder if it is genuine??

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmmmmmm

but it is missing its total overprint

200 value for me if real and close to unc

the clad layer missing if a genuine mint product is not all that scarce but it is a retail 25 dollar error coin in thgis condition

Thanks for the advice. I'm sorry I didn't get back to y'all sooner, but I've been out of town for a little while.

The bill is indeed genuine. I was fresh out of the military back in 94 when I started working at a bank in the main vault that distributed currency to its branches throughout the state when I came across the bill. I pulled out a normal 5, replaced it for this one and kept it all this time as a mere curiosity to show to family and friends. It came out of a fresh package of 5's that had never actually been circulated (I saw it as it ran through my money counting machine). I never thought to much about its value.

You can see the fibers in the picture...atleast I can. I'll have to post some of my more unique collections here soon. I have some pretty cool stuff that I've managed to come across over the years.

One of my other favorite coins is probably worth more to me personally than it would be to a collector. Its from the ship I served on in the Navy back during Desert Storm.

The ship was recently sunk in a top secret manner including many various types of missles and bombs. The largest Navy ship to ever be sunk purposefully in that manner (which really angered many folks who'd served on her).

1244576-AmericaFront.jpg

1244576-AmericaFront.jpg.965d3ad9ef179783b03fec8e80fdab26.jpg

The America was sunk?

Oh, I was in Diego Garcia through Desert Storm. Isolated maybe, but got to drink beer and stand on firm ground (well, wasn't firm after too many beers), and party on the beach watching the Air Farce B-52's take off. No offense AF, just couldn't resist smile.gif

USN 1985-1998

I didn't even know that the USS America was decommisioned but I've been out of touch with the USN since I did my 6 and got out the day before the Kuwait invasion.

The medal is just basically worth silver except to someone that has sentimental attachment to it.

I picked up some commissioning and keel laid stamped envelopes for the Nimitz a couple of years ago at a coin show. They were dirt cheap.

While on the Nimitz, I got 3 different stamped envelopes of the Chester Nimitz stamps. They mean something to me but they probably aren't worth anything to anyone else.

The Nimitz was moored next the the Battleship New Jersey in Long Beach and I had to go pick something up on it for my division. While I was there I got a ship's lighter and a commemorative stein from the ship's store which I think are pretty cool.