• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any birders on these forums?

17 posts in this topic

I'm just curious whether there are any other birders on these boards? Most birders who are even somewhat serious about the hobby keep a life list - a list or "collection" of all the species of birds ever seen in a lifetime of observation. Many also keep county, state, and year lists as well. Modern birding is based on a system of recognizing 'field marks', unique indicators such as a song, feather pattern, bill shape, etc. that allow identification of a bird down to the species level.

All of these practices are remarkably like coin collecting in some ways. The listing birders are always trying to fill a hole in their lists, just as numismatists try to fill in a missing date or variety. Coin identification and grading is based on a similar system of "field marks" - a star here, arrows here, a particular serif on a mint mark.

As a birder, I've found that coin collecting pushes many of the same buttons that get pushed when I'm pushing through a thicket looking for a new warbler species. I wonder if the same mindset that creates a birder also interests one in numismatics?

I believe that the same mind set that creates any form of detailed "collector" must show great similarities. I have a great deal of taxonomic training and practice, and feel that whatever drives an interest there subtends that of coin collecting. Therefore, I think the idea that a birder is similar to a coin collector is true. Birders just like getting out more. tongue.gif

I am a casual birder, but I have two friends who are quite serious about it, one of which travels around the world for the experience. It's one of the best pass-times I can think of.

Hoot

I live between Birch Bay and Drayton Harbor, separated by the Semiamhoo Peninsula in Blaine, WA. We just had a Pacific Brant celebration, bird watching day and dinner (at the Semiamhoo Hotel) in April. My wife and I saw about (20) species of ducks (including Harlequins), (3) species of geese, (2) species of loons and other shore birds that one day.

This area is one of the best migratory waterfowl observation areas on the west coast. My wife and I also go boating in Skagit Bay and through Deception Pass during the fall and winter. There are many species of waterfowl that winter in our waters, ranging from Puffin to Guillemots, ducks, geese and shorebirds. I even carry a pair of Leica 8x20 binoculars in the car, ready for any occasional sighting.

I've always wondered what the heck a Whipperwhil looks and sounds like since almost every country music song ever written talks about them/it.

Whip-poor-will (Caprimulgus vociferus)

Here's a great photo from: http://www.avesphoto.com/website/NA/species/WHIPPW-1.htm

WHIPPW-1.jpg

You can hear the song and learn more about it here: http://www.nenature.com/WhipPoorWill.htm, and here: http://www.enature.com/partners/nwf/show...p;recnum=BD0141

Two years ago, I had one of these drive me to near insanity in Costa Rica. We had a bit of an all-night tussle. insane.gif I won.

Hoot

Wow, that's what it looks like? I thought that it would be something cool like the scissor-tailed fly catcher (state bird of Oklahoma). But, my work computer wouldn't let me listen to it. I will book mark this thread to listen to it later. Thanks, Mark, for the favor. I have wondered about this for decades, literally. blush.gif

These birds are amazing crepuscular/nocturnal flycatchers. Their flight is fast and appears erratic, but that's just the way they hunt. They have very long whiskers that allow them to detect prey and a very big mouth for catching it. They are quite soft with "silent" feathers that are adorned with very fine, branching pinnae. Up close, they are quite pretty, despite their seemingly drab appearance. They blend with bark and with the ground very well, allowing them excellent camouflage. In daylight, they will stick tight to a roost, even when approached. Marvelous birds that are related to all nightjars, poorwils and goat suckers.

Hoot

About ten years ago, I was a musician on a cruise ship that sailed from Rio down through the Straight of Magellan and up the coast of Chile, and made numerous stops along the way.

I expected the boat to be full of hedonists - and of course it was, but to my surprise, it was also full of bird watchers. I think they were the most enthusiastic bunch of the lot, and I learned a great deal about the ornithology of South America. (They were much more fun to hang around with than the stupid traditional tourists.)

I actually had the opportunity to take a day trip to visit penguins on a glacier (while we were docked at Ushuwaia) - wow - talk about a state of altered consciousness - you don't even feel like you're on your own planet anymore.

I had a pet cockatiel. He used to sit on my shoulder and watch TV or while I was driving.

Then on Sept 10, 2001 I stepped on him while moving the TV. I can still

feel him under my foot.

My primary birding interest is only in the birds of North America. I appreciate the diversity and beauty of all the other birds worldwide, but I really don't have much desire to travel to see them, for some reason. Perhaps I've just seen them on tv so much that they don't seem real to me - it's really odd. That said, there are one or two places I've always dreamed about visiting to see the birds - the Galapagos islands and Antarctica - to see the penguins.

Jazzy, you'll always find the birders to be the most enthusiastic and friendly group on any boat that has them. We do get some odd stares, occasionally - like when my wife and I took a glass-bottom boat tour of the reef off of Key Largo, FL during our honeymoon ... we had arrived on the reef and everyone was looking down through the glass at the fishies. I snuck back outside, (claiming to my wife I needed the fresh air) and I was soon relaxing on deck watching the Magnificent Frigatebirds fishing. You see, I had planned the glassbottom boat trip as my own personal, mini-pelagic trip.

My wife eventually dragged me back below and we had a nice time looking at the reef, but all that time, all I could think was, "I'm missing the birds!!!!"

Sweet wife of mine, she didn't realize until we were there: the reason we went to the keys on our honeymoon was because of the birds!

I had a pet cockatiel. He used to sit on my shoulder and watch TV or while I was driving.

feel him under my foot.

Ooh, Dave, that sux! I'm sorry to hear about that. I used to have a pet cockatiel and also a mini parrot. They both bonded with me from the start. Those were the only two birds I've had but they were cool and were my buds.

It's amazing how a bird will actually choose you.

feel him under my foot.

Your heart must have sank into your stomach. Mine did just by reading your post. Sounds like you had two bad days in a row.

I was living about 6 miles outside NYC at the time also. I could see the smoke from my house. I was also going thru a divorce at the time and that little bird was like my baby.

I didnt mean to bring anybody down. My life went straight up from that moment as I met my new wife and have 2 great kids. smile.gif