• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Shop Coins?

6 posts in this topic

I've never been looking for coins in a pawn shop, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter? Are pawn shops usually a decent place to look for coins? Is there any particular etiquette I should follow in one (you know, like don't ever make eye contact with the guy behind the counter? 893whatthe.gif)

Hi, my name is Chris I’m posting under my uncle’s name. I hope he doesn’t mind. Anyway my uncle and I go to pawn shops all the time looking for coins. They ask the same prices for the coins there as you see on ebay, except you get to hold them! Pawn shops are like any store, at least around here. I don’t think you need to worry.

I've never been looking for coins in a pawn shop, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter? Are pawn shops usually a decent place to look for coins? Is there any particular etiquette I should follow in one (you know, like don't ever make eye contact with the guy behind the counter? 893whatthe.gif)

Be carefull what you buy just like anywhere else.... Know what your getting into.. Thats all good luck smile.gif I have found some great deals at pawn shops...

I've only gotten 2 coins a pawn shops, 2 morgans. one 1900 O in about AU58, and a 1881S in about MS67. Payed about $65 for the both.

The one thing that I can say about pawn shops, and I have been to many, is that the price that they show on a coin (or anything else) is generally above what they are willing to sell the item for. So if I see something I like, I'll say some thing like "Do you have any room on this coin?" They generally do.

I personally have had miniscule luck with pawn shops, though I recently picked up a handful of decent coins at one. It turns out in my part of St. Louis that one guy owns several of the largest pawn shops - and he's a coin dealer on the side, so needless to say, nothing worthwhile ever turns up around here.

James