• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Test... All come and try! --Revealed--

16 posts in this topic

Here we have a 1926 Oregon Trail Commemorative coin. This is a design loved by alot of collectors, so its fitting to be able to put this one up for grading. Good luck and enjoy! The coin is slabbed by ANACS. Both images are of the same coin.

1926ot.jpg

12926ot1.jpg

This coin in hand is a true BLAZER! A very nice thick original looking white skin. This coin is in an ANACS MS66 holder, and I think it is a 67 canidate. Every dealer who has seen it has just fell in love with the coin. This coin is very PQ in my opinion for 66. Oddly enough I found this one raw to start off with and some years back sent it off to ANACS and it graded MS66, which I was hoping for MS65 at least, when I knew less about grading and such. I have yet to hold another in hand with the "pop" as it is put in hand. My other MS66 Oregon slabbed by PCGS does not even have this sorta pop to it. Its a great coin to own and a great grade as well. I see a few people nailed this one and I and many others would not gripe with this in a 67 holder. This is a coin that needs to be seen in hand to really get the feel for it. Thanks for trying....

I'm going to have to go 'way' up the scale (for me) to and guess MS-65 that is very well struck. I'll be curious learn how photo grading can possibly be done in MS grades but, especially above about MS-63

My 2c

The first photo makes it look like an MS68. The second photo reveals a few marks that I can't see in the first photo. It's an attractive coin that doesn't have that "freshly dipped" look, though it may have been dipped long ago.

I've found ANACS to be fairly accurate to tight on classic commems. Judging from the second picture I think they would have given this one an MS65. I almost said MS66 but I noticed a hairline scratch that should limit the grade.

Don't tell me that scratch made this a "problem coin". mad.gif

I think the first picture really makes the coin look like an MS-67. But the second picture reveals several marks and makes it look alot worse, like an Ms-65. Assuming that the coin is really an average of the two, I am going to say MS-66. The only thing that really bothers me is the scratch on his arm up through Canada. I can't tell the severity, and I don't know what ANACS would do about it, but overall it is a very nice coin.

I sure mised that scratch on his right arm (if it really is one). 2nd look at the bottom picture makes it look like some kind of double strike, looking at his left arm and bow.

Interesting if I am fooled that easy on angle of photo/light!!! foreheadslap.gif

Regis

I sure mised that scratch on his right arm (if it really is one). 2nd look at the bottom picture makes it look like some kind of double strike, looking at his left arm and bow.

Interesting if I am fooled that easy on angle of photo/light!!! foreheadslap.gif

Regis

The scratch is on the slab not the coin..... Keep guessing

The first photo makes it look like an MS68. The second photo reveals a few marks that I can't see in the first photo. It's an attractive coin that doesn't have that "freshly dipped" look, though it may have been dipped long ago.

I've found ANACS to be fairly accurate to tight on classic commems. Judging from the second picture I think they would have given this one an MS65. I almost said MS66 but I noticed a hairline scratch that should limit the grade.

Don't tell me that scratch made this a "problem coin". mad.gif

The scratch is on the slab...

I think the first picture really makes the coin look like an MS-67. But the second picture reveals several marks and makes it look alot worse, like an Ms-65. Assuming that the coin is really an average of the two, I am going to say MS-66. The only thing that really bothers me is the scratch on his arm up through Canada. I can't tell the severity, and I don't know what ANACS would do about it, but overall it is a very nice coin.

Scratch is on the slab....

I really don't think it reasonable to grade such a coin simply by pictures. The second picture does show a number of tiny marks that are not so obvious in the first picture. This looks to be a satin finish, or a dipped coin, hard to say from pictures. I don't like satin finish, prefer strong bright luster. Obviously dipped Classic Commems I can't stand.

A wild ANACS guess would be MS65.

I really don't think it reasonable to grade such a coin simply by pictures. The second picture does show a number of tiny marks that are not so obvious in the first picture. This looks to be a satin finish, or a dipped coin, hard to say from pictures. I don't like satin finish, prefer strong bright luster. Obviously dipped Classic Commems I can't stand.

A wild ANACS guess would be MS65.

In hand this coin is dripping with the strong bright luster you speak of... I need to reimage this coin using my new light setup....