• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Test.. All Come and Try.... -Revealed-

44 posts in this topic

The 1927-D seems to me to be one of the dates in the series that is pricey in AU condition, about the same price as most other dates in MS64/MS65s, and much cash needed for a full head example in that year. 893whatthe.gif

As a type collector this is not the date to go after for the type 3 SLQ slot.

Yours is a very nice coin, the toning adds great eye appeal. thumbsup2.gif

I can see your photo that there is some lack of detail, but whether this is do weak strike, a little wear, or maybe both that’s really hard to say from photos.

But looking at the detail of the head I would say that your coin is missing very little of the design that would be seen on a full head graded example and it seems that could be do to wear, weakly struck heads look different to me like the flat spot is usually bigger and flatter. Also the edge of the eagle's wing seems to be worn some to me.

So I’ll go with the good old AU55, details that is being that you said it’s net graded. As to why the net grade, the only thing that I could guess from the photo is that the coin has been cleaned and is now retoned. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hope to have another one for the weekend. I am glad you are enjoying them. Seems like the coins I am choosing seem to be getting alot of people. I think I am going to venture a washington quarter one for this weekend...

Great test...thank you.

Is cleaning identified by the area on back near bottom (light spots or blotted area)? Or is there some other tell-tale sign that I just don't recognize? Cleaning never came to my mind as I did not see 'any' sign of wiping and the coin was toned.

These are great and I hope they don't bore the experienced folks tooo much.

Regis

Bruce----Amazingly, I am still shocked by this coin. But, the pictures are the key. Ever since I have been on these chat boards, I have told people to beware of the pictures. I usually buy 'raw' coins off of Ebay----and I do pride myself in my ability to pick the uncleaned pieces. It is rare for me to make a simple 'grading' mistake. Granted, we are talking about Walkers mostly. But I do buy other coins as well. This coin and these pictures were a problem for me. Never saw a hairline----toning looked a great NT---rivets in shield were an AU coin for sure for that date and mint. Just hope that the seller had a return policy for this coin. Ha! Ha! And that brings up the safest words ever spoken about Ebay---"Let the buyer beware". Most dealers would crack this coin out and sell it raw for sure. Oh My!!!! Bob [supertooth]

Bruce----Amazingly, I am still shocked by this coin. But, the pictures are the key. Ever since I have been on these chat boards, I have told people to beware of the pictures. I usually buy 'raw' coins off of Ebay----and I do pride myself in my ability to pick the uncleaned pieces. It is rare for me to make a simple 'grading' mistake. Granted, we are talking about Walkers mostly. But I do buy other coins as well. This coin and these pictures were a problem for me. Never saw a hairline----toning looked a great NT---rivets in shield were an AU coin for sure for that date and mint. Just hope that the seller had a return policy for this coin. Ha! Ha! And that brings up the safest words ever spoken about Ebay---"Let the buyer beware". Most dealers would crack this coin out and sell it raw for sure. Oh My!!!! Bob [supertooth]

Bob just think of the money this coin would garner given the pictures used here. Quite alarming, if you ask me. One of the guesses was at MS65/66 which put its at like $1500.00 or so using the PCGS price guide on a coin, that should not be priced over $200.00.

I'm the proud owner of the 65/66 guess. smile.gif

It was meant with a bit of sarcasm.

The truth is I felt it looked like something that would bring that kind of money on ebay and probably stick with the buyer.

There are so many folks out there that are clueless of how to grade, even in hand, and don't understand that an image can be made to look any way the seller may wish. These same folks need to be here reading great learning threads such as this.

Hats off to those that nailed this one right off the bat.

Don't feel many could do that. I have to admit I thought it was at least MS something. frown.gif

I'm the proud owner of the 65/66 guess. smile.gif

It was meant with a bit of sarcasm.

The truth is I felt it looked like something that would bring that kind of money on ebay and probably stick with the buyer.

There are so many folks out there that are clueless of how to grade, even in hand, and don't understand that an image can be made to look any way the seller may wish. These same folks need to be here reading great learning threads such as this.

Hats off to those that nailed this one right off the bat.

Don't feel many could do that. I have to admit I thought it was at least MS something. frown.gif

Exactly why I used this coin for the grading test. So many of todays market aspects came into play on this coin. Images, grading, hidden things such as cleaning, which in hand most everybody would nail. I have another one ready for the weekend.

Perhaps I'm scrolling through posts too quickly, but I still haven't seen/read what the correct answer is? confused.gif

Reread the first post... it was edited to add the answer to it. Enjoy

Perhaps I'm scrolling through posts too quickly, but I still haven't seen/read what the correct answer is? confused.gif

Reread the first post... it was edited to add the answer to it. Enjoy

Ok, thanks! I'd sure pay EF price for that one any day! thumbsup2.gif

The coin should have graded AU 58 / Net AU 50.

Without seeing the coin in hand, its hard to see

any cleaning lines.

Grading this coin XF 40 was way - way - too harsh !!!