• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annoying proof sets!

5 posts in this topic

So I felt like going through my small collection of proof sets today ('64, '82, '99, '00, '05) and I ran into some problems with them. The 1964 and 1982 sets were starting to get a bit of a cloud on some of the coins, so I cracked them and removed the coins to those Whitman year set holders.

Then I went on to my 1999 set - it apparently got some small cracks in the cent-nickel-dime-half holder during the move I made several years ago. (You can tell my mood was improving at this point frustrated.gif)

Then, it was on to the 2000 set - several of the quarters are hazing up in the case!

Finally, my 2005 set - haze and a f*%^*&ing fingerprint on the Kansas quarter!

What's the deal? I don't really collect the proof sets - in fact I haven't even really looked at these since I got them on their respective Christmases - which was briefly and in poor light. But c'mon - a fingerprint??!?? Sure as heck wasn't MY fingerprint - should I be thinking that the dealer that sold them to my mother was messing with the sets? What should I do with the cracked 1999 set? Frankly, I'm thinking of dumping the lot on eBay and using the cash to pick up something I'm more interested in. Advice?

Aside from the 1964 set, these are the non-silver sets.

^^

And what, the dealers just swap proofs in and out as they see fit so they can submit the coins they want in search of the almighty PF70? Geeze, this really ticks me off.

I'm not even sure there's a way I can (ethically) sell these sets off. If I mention the problems, I'm not likely to get a buyer, and I don't feel right about not mentioning them.

Suggestions?