• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Test... All come and try... -Revealed-

47 posts in this topic

Be advised that in all of these "Grade Me" posts, we are not actually grading coins.

We are grading images.

If I had the coin in hand, I would be able to grade the coin.

Be advised that in all of these "Grade Me" posts, we are not actually grading coins.

We are grading images.

Thanks for clearing that up...I was wondering how a coin could suddenly materialize on my monitor insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

insane.gifinsane.gif

insane.gif

We are grading images.

If I had the coin in hand, I would be able to grade the coin.

Agreed! But such is the internet game, so you gotta learn to grade via pics...

I believe we've run tha gamut from EF to MS65 with most at AU. Of course it can only be a guess what 3rd party said so just guess they said UNC

Re: 1921 Peace dollars. All were struck from the high relief dies. The low relief dies were not created until February 1922, and these were made from new models supplied, with some reluctance, by de Francisci.

Grading/Dipping: 1921's are tough to grade in part because the mint changed working dies much more frequently than normal. The "look" of a large coin struck from fresh dies is more "satiny" with subdued lustre, than a coin struck from older dies that have more metal flow and present a "brighter" look. High relief also tends to mask the "cartwheel" effect so common with Morgan dollars. (A similar phenomenon is evident with MCMVII HR $20s compared to low relief circulation strikes.)

I've seen several 1921s documented from the first day of issue in January 1922, and all had a subdued, satin lustre.

Sorry, my bad on the high/low relief on the 21.

Still, I can't agree with an EF 45 grade on the posted coin. I don't think that they got it right AT ALL.

It's got much better details than an EF, and I've examined hundreds of Peace Dollars.

If you just took the ANA Grading Standards book and graded a bunch of Peace Dollars, I guarantee you would get a bunch of MS coins that graded in the EF to AU range. It's all about the strike on this series.

So I have to wonder if the third world grader knew the dfference between rub and a weak strike, or if he was including the state of the strike in his grading like they do with the EAC standards...

Remember that major TPG's do NOT include the relative strength or weakness of a strike in their grading criteria.

Also, I've noted that most 21s come with a shallow color - statiny if you wish, and EWB has also pointed that out. (I prefer to call it "milky".)

Things are not always what they seem, and I have to ask the obvious question of you Bruce: have you seen this coin in hand so that you can have such a definitive opinion about it?

I have not seen it in hand, which was why I first put it on my watch. To my eye I saw a close to MS coin, but it still looked cleaned to me. I had planned to bid, but did not at the last minute. I am also glad to see the coin was basically net graded for cleaning which in thier minds brought it back down to XF 45. All things being equal, cleaned or not I still like this coin. I wish I would have bid on the coin so I could have posted better pictures of the coin. You look at enough of them as you say you can really get grading from images down to a tee.

I have not seen it in hand, which was why I first put it on my watch. To my eye I saw a close to MS coin, but it still looked cleaned to me. I had planned to bid, but did not at the last minute. I am also glad to see the coin was basically net graded for cleaning which in thier minds brought it back down to XF 45. All things being equal, cleaned or not I still like this coin. I wish I would have bid on the coin so I could have posted better pictures of the coin. You look at enough of them as you say you can really get grading from images down to a tee.

Well then, you've put your finger exactly on the most important issue of buying coins over the internet: "How do I know if it's any good by the pic???"

The answer is the sellers return policy.