• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Test... All come and try... -Revealed-

47 posts in this topic

I will state this is not my coin, but I thought it would make for a good grading test. I have not seen the coin in hand, so go by the images. I will say this is slabbed by a lower tier slab. What do you think it should be? and what do you think they had on it? Here is the image. Good Luck! The coin is a 1921 Peace Dollar.

1921pd.jpg

Grade on the Slab is XF 45, then marked NO Grade Cleaned, which I thought was right on the mark. No luster at all on the coin, but a great strike. Lower tier company is NANCS Kudos to them for getting it right and maybe even undergraded from the images provided. I could see this in an AU Details ANACS holder and I would not question it. Details look very close to UNC if not UNC, but the cleaning the coin has undured took away all the luster of the coin. Does not have that satin luster. There are a many 1921 Peace Dollars in the AU Range with no luster at all. Thats just how this series goes. 1921's have been known to lack luster quite often. Strike is better than normal, just look at the hair detail. Feathers on the back are on par for the date. Granted the cleaning takes away from the coin, This is a coin I would not mind owning at the right price. Cleaning looks to be light, but I am more satified a lower tier slab got that it was cleaned. Kudos to NANCS! Your Assement?

AU55, cleaned. tongue.gif I'd have no idea what absurd grade may have been put on it.

Pretty fair detail in Liberty's hair for that issue. Too bad the coin has been so abused.

Hoot

AU55, cleaned. tongue.gif I'd have no idea what absurd grade may have been put on it.

Pretty fair detail in Liberty's hair for that issue. Too bad the coin has been so abused.

Hoot

Yeah I noticed the hair detail as well smile.gif

Looks like very slight wear/rub on hair above eye and in eagle's wing, so AU but definately looks cleaned on field in front of face and I don't know how much to subtract for that. Wild guess at slabbed grade is MS-65 tongue.gif

One lesson (and I think you might have taught it to me Bruce) is that I have a lot of trouble distinguishing from a weak strike and light wear. And because I’m new I think I do a better job of grading coins that I look at all the time – like Morgans. In addition if this is a matt proof (or satin proof for that matter) – then I’m done! Those things don’t look like they have any mint luster at all to me.

Enough hedging…

It looks like the coin has wear to me BUT it looks like it is all over the coin so I’m thinking it’s a little weak in the strike. I don’t see a lot of hits but there seems to be one big one under her nose. I’m gonna say MS64

GULP

Now I’ll read the REST of the post…

Hays

Ok, I could see it droped to EF and cleaned. I agree with the BB mentioned but, for rough cleaning (I don't see whizz).

Regis (try # 2)

Awww RATS!

It looks like this one WAS AU! Man... Christo_pull_hair.gif

Hays

How are you so sure you are not right and they wrong? not saying its that way but could be..

This first year of issue coin was struck in both high and low relief. The mint had so many problems with the coin striking up properly with the high relief dies that they quickly changed them.

I suspect the coin is a low relief because of the detail in the hair over liberty's temple. The high relief coins are notorious for looking like someone's been rubbing the center of the obverse, when in fact it's only a weak strike. One finds many examples that look AU in MS holders.

Furthermore, most of the 1921 coins have a pallid, washed-out color, and even ones with completely original skins can look like they've been dipped - that's just the character of this particular year. (The 21 in your collection, Bruce, is a pleasant exception.)

Judging just by the pic, I believe this coin to be in MS, and NOT cleaned. I see few contact marks in both the primary and secodary focal areas, so I'm actually going to say MS 64, maybe 65.

As to what a thrid world grader would put on its holder, I have no clue.

One lesson (and I think you might have taught it to me Bruce) is that I have a lot of trouble distinguishing from a weak strike and light wear. And because I’m new I think I do a better job of grading coins that I look at all the time – like Morgans. In addition if this is a matt proof (or satin proof for that matter) – then I’m done! Those things don’t look like they have any mint luster at all to me.

Enough hedging…

It looks like the coin has wear to me BUT it looks like it is all over the coin so I’m thinking it’s a little weak in the strike. I don’t see a lot of hits but there seems to be one big one under her nose. I’m gonna say MS64

GULP

Hays

After reading Jazzy's post I'm going back to my original guess up there and add that the grading company thought it was an AU. Kinda makes me feel good to think along the same lines as this guy. smile.gif

Hays

Enough hedging…

GULP

Hays

After reading Jazzy's post I'm going back to my original guess up there and add that the grading company thought it was an AU. Kinda makes me feel good to think along the same lines as this guy. smile.gif

Hays

Just be glad this is not your money on this coin...

Going by the image, I'll say AU55 details... Improperly Cleaned and I wouldn't purchase this coin based on this image.