• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eisenhower Dollar Type Question

39 posts in this topic

Inspired by the post from pendragon1998 ( http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1204175&an=0&page=0 ) about making a complete collection of Suzzie Bs, I decided that it would be interesting for me to try to actually get a complete collection of something rather than just dabble everyere. I thought I'd start with modern dollar coins (Eisenhower, SBAs, Sacagawea) and then maybe go to Peace dollars after that. I love Morgans but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I was trying to figure out all the types of Eisenhower dollars, and I was going based off of the PCGS online price guide ( http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=eisenhower_dollar_mod ) in combination with CoinFacts ( http://www.coinfacts.com/silver_dollars/eisenhower_dollars/eisenhower_dollars.html ).

My question is that PCGS lists three types (1 through 3) of 1972 (no mint mark) Eisenhower dollars, but I can find no refernce to these types elsewhere, other than that one type (from CoinWorld's annual price guide) is a high-relief Earth on the reverse. Does anyone have any idea what Type 3 is? Note that I'm assuming Type 1 is just "normal."

Thanks.

The differences between of the 1972 Eisenhower dollars lies mainly in the moon on the reverse of the coin. Here are closeups of each of the three types:

Type 1:

original.jpg

Type 2:

original.jpg

Type 3:

original.jpg

Here's a website that explains them in more detail:

1972 Ike Types

Here are full size shots:

Type 1 (NGC MS 65):

original.jpg

original.jpg

Type 2 (PCGS MS 64):

original.jpg

original.jpg

Type 3 (PCGS MS 65):

original.jpg

original.jpg

Try collecting the Ikes in a Dansco album. The album has slots for all the dates and mint marks, but it does not include spaces for varieties like the three types of 1972. It does, however, include the type 1 and type 2 varieties of 1976.

I put this album together over the course of a year, and had a lot of fun doing it. There is an abundance of high-grade raw coins out there to be had, and it's a great way to enjoy the hunt of the hobby on the cheap.

One more thing - the Dansco album has four blank spaces in the back - I included a unc. and proof version of the Ike Comem. Dollar, a WWII Commem Dollar (because it has a quote by Ike on the reverse), and a West POint Comem. since that's where he went to school.

Finally, you can buy an additional blank dollar page for the album and include the additional varieties.

The differences between of the 1972 Eisenhower dollars lies mainly in the moon on the reverse of the coin. Here are closeups of each of the three types:

Type 1:

original.jpg

Type 2:

original.jpg

Type 3:

original.jpg

Looks like the Earth to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

Wow, such fast replies. Thanks, MikeInFL, for posting so quickly and such a good explanation. I guess I missed that website in my Google search. And yeah ... that's Earth (remember, I'm an astronomer, I know these things). smile.gif It looks like the way to tell the difference is to look at the islands below Florida. Type 1 has the East half of Cuba but nothing else, Type 2 has none, and Type 3 has all. And if you can't quite tell, a Type 1 will look like the 1971, and a Type 2 will look like a 1974.

And Jazzy, I ordered the Dansco album for Ikes with proof slots and it should be arriving any day now. I already have a few circulated examples (1971, 1971 D, 1972 type 1, 1972 D, 1974, 1974 D, 1976 thin, 1976 D thin, 1976 D thick, 1977 D, and 1978) that I collected mainly from the bank when I was younger and two came from my Grandpa. But after just finding a coin store 3 miles from my house and seeing they had bunches of Eisenhower dollars, something tells me I'll be making a trip there this weekend. laugh.gif

For those who care... poke2.gif

From the FAQ:

Is there a limit to signature image size?

We ask that you keep your images relatively small. As a rule, please do not exceed 125 x 600 pixels and/or 35k for a signature image. This will ensure that the forums load quickly for all users.

For those who care... poke2.gif

From the FAQ:

Is there a limit to signature image size?

We ask that you keep your images relatively small. As a rule, please do not exceed 125 x 600 pixels and/or 35k for a signature image. This will ensure that the forums load quickly for all users.

Yeah, well, Chris isn't big on fine print.

Thanks for the info and the pix, Mike. I never knew that! Type III looks the best even though it is still a pretty crude geological rendition.

Type 1:

original.jpg

You'd think that people whose job it is to generate art in a circular medium would do a better job at depicting a ROUND PLANET for heaven's sake. My little brother could make a better circle when he was three - out of playdoh!

N'yeh - take that US mint poke2.gif

You'd think that people whose job it is to generate art in a circular medium would do a better job at depicting a ROUND PLANET for heaven's sake. My little brother could make a better circle when he was three - out of playdoh!

N'yeh - take that US mint poke2.gif

Funny you mention the shape...

The shape of the Earth is one of the other ways you can attribute even weakly struck or worn coin. Each is distinctive.

I have two examples of type 1. Notice the slight striking differences particularly evident in a change in shape the left edge of the Earth, yet the rest of the outline is remarkably similar between examples, and quite different from the type 2 and 3.

original.jpg

50488554.1972type3IkeDollarPCGSMS65revdetail.jpg

Have fun...Mike

Moon, Earth, what's the difference? makepoint.gif

I'm sorry that you missed my point. Yeah, you're right! A lot of people live on the moon.

At least I don't have the world's most annoying signature pics. yay.gif

I didn't know that you were a statistician. What population did you use to support your statement? What was the basis for your sampling?

Big pix, little pix...........what's the difference? That's what the scrolling wheel is for on the mouse.

I have a question for astrostu............... On a daily basis, how many astronomers fire up the old telescope to view the Earth each night?

It's a good thing you guys weren't manning the "big red button" during the Cuban Missile Crisis. You should take a chill pill!

I'm proud to have the Kennedy Mint Error on my sig line so that everyone, newcomer and oldtimer alike, can have the opportunity to see it.

Oh, by the way, I like my complete set of Dansco Ikes, too!

Chris

Oh, by the way, I like my complete set of Dansco Ikes, too!

Yep, me too but they're in an Intercept Shield album. I bought it for $200 2-3 yrs ago but some of the silver BU's have hairlines. frown.gif

I still think that was a bargain buy. I also bought a complete set of accurately graded MS63 Franklins at the same time for $425. I doubt that you could touch any of those prices today. I just wish that I got an album set of ASE at $200 before the prices went up.

Did you mean differences in the earth on these coins? smirk.gif

I have a question for astrostu............... On a daily basis, how many astronomers fire up the old telescope to view the Earth each night?

Um ... none that I know of. When the moon is close to new, I take over-exposed pictures to look at Earthshine off the moon.

Big pix, little pix...........what's the difference? That's what the scrolling wheel is for on the mouse.

The difference is one was a typo and the other is self-centered and annoying.

Let me ask you a question -- what makes you so important that you can ignore the rules of this forum?

For the sake of scrolling wheels everywhere, resize your signature picture, please...Mike

Now, now - no need for anyone to get mad. I took the liberty of editing these images for Chris - perhaps he would like to move one of them to his server and use it instead? No need to shrink that lovely coin - just remove some of the plastic and I think everyone can be happy. Post this right next to that cool train photo, and that ought to cut some of the vertical length on those posts.

2001error.jpg

2001error2.jpg

Most here probably know this but for those that don't.

It's shocking how many folks still have no other option than a dial up connection. Each time a pic loads the screen jumps. On a long thread it gets a bit tough trying to read a jumping screen.:)

Now, now - no need for anyone to get mad. I took the liberty of editing these images for Chris - perhaps he would like to move one of them to his server and use it instead? No need to shrink that lovely coin - just remove some of the plastic and I think everyone can be happy. Post this right next to that cool train photo, and that ought to cut some of the vertical length on those posts.

2001error.jpg

2001error2.jpg

That's cool! No offense taken! My problem is that I'm an old f*rt (We have to be a little careful......little eyes are now reading our posts) and I know very little about photo applications and editing. As a matter of fact, Victor helped me put it on my sig line (or, was it Hayden????), so I don't know how I can modify it. Help, anyone?

Thanks!

Chris

Actually, if I might be allowed to be a little obsessive-compulsive for a moment...

I really prefer the other version of that photo, so if you wouldn't mind doing it as a favor to me, could you use that for your signature instead? For some reason, I really like the coin on the left hand side - it balances out visually better. I know, I'm weird.

To change your signature line:

(1) Go to "My Home" at the top of the screen

(2) Under 'My configuration', click on Edit beside 'Personal Information"

(3) Scroll down to the Signature box and enter the following line (without any quotation marks:

"a> ""

(4) Scroll down all the way and hit "Submit"

1212785-2001error2.jpg.77f4ca16e0c4d1811a5ce1a593c1caa3.jpg

so if you wouldn't mind doing it as a favor to me, could you use that for your signature instead? For some reason, I really like the coin on the left hand side

I must say your very suttle yeahok.gif

poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gifstooges.gifstooges.gif

^^

I know, I'm an odd duckling. Honestly, the strangest things like that occasionally bother me. I figured that being as I made the image in the first place, I ought to at least suggest the version I liked better confused-smiley-013.gif

^^

I know, I'm an odd duckling. Honestly, the strangest things like that occasionally bother me. I figured that being as I made the image in the first place, I ought to at least suggest the version I liked better confused-smiley-013.gif

Did you ever think of only showing the one you like best? tongue.gif

so if you wouldn't mind doing it as a favor to me, could you use that for your signature instead? For some reason, I really like the coin on the left hand side

I must say your very suttle yeahok.gif

poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gifstooges.gifstooges.gif

"B" (as in subtle) nice, Travis, he's trying to help and I appreciate it.

Chris

Chris -- Copy this: http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//1212688-2001error.jpg. Then, go to our homepage and open up "Personal information, email, password, etc." Scroll down to the box for your sigline and paste the URL between "" and "".

See . . . It works! Thanks Pendragon.

Thanks. Lou, but I think I should concede to the wishes of the graphics designer extraordinaire.

Chris

It took me a little while before the impression made itself in my mind. That's what I get for sitting around waiting for people to post in threads.

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

If you are referring to me, it is taking me a while to regain my vision after looking at all of your.....

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

makepoint.gifC makepoint.gifH makepoint.gifR makepoint.gifI makepoint.gifS makepoint.gif