• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 NO P roosevelt..

9 posts in this topic

i just went through $500 in dimes.. all i wanted to find was a no P '82. nothing. this is my new favorite coin... i simply must have one :-) i doubt i'll pick up any more boxes.. they estimate that there are only 11,000 in existence, seems like in 24 years they're probably all plucked. but i have questions....

can this be compared to the '22 plain lincoln? from what i've read, the mintmark was just forgotten.. not worn away like the '22. right? does any coin come to mind that it can be compared with?

and, teehee, does anyone have one that they could part with? does anyone have one? didya buy it or find it?

1982p10.jpgtakeit.gifthumbsup2.gif

word is that the bulk of them were found in Sandusky Ohio at Cedar Point. That is about 1 hour from us and we take our kids there a few times/month as we have season passes annually.

There used to be someone with them for sale in the back of Coinworld each week. They aren't really what I'd call expensive but I've heard that they might make a spot for them in the Whitman folders or something like that. If that happens, look for them to get a little more popular and expensive.

Finding one in circulation is a big job.

A significant percentage of them were found at the release points of Sandusky, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. It's difficult to know how many were put into circulation but many of these have already been found. Even if there are another 10,000 in circulation they will be very difficult to find when mixed in with some 40,000,000,000 other coins. (you'd have to look at 400,000 coins or another 79 boxes.)

I consider this a much more important coin than the '22 Lincoln for several reasons. There aren't degrees of a lack of mintmark on this coin. It's there or it isn't. Many people don't collect "errors" or would have any interest in a mint mark that's ground off but most collectors would consider a missing mark to be "another hole to fill". The '22 did have one big advantage though; most got into circulation.

The '82-NMM is very similar to the No Mintmark proofs.

I traveled to Sandusky within days after this coin was found and expected lines of collectors at the coin shops. I was simply flabbergasted that not only was there no line but the owner of the only shop in town told me I was his first customer for the coin!!! I had wanted to buy dozens of them and maybe even find a few in change but I couldn't find any nor get a quantity discount. Fortunately I was able to go through the several hundred examples available and pick the best coin.

It was well worth the drive.

I traveled to Sandusky within days after this coin was found and expected lines of collectors at the coin shops. I was simply flabbergasted that not only was there no line but the owner of the only shop in town told me I was his first customer for the coin!!! I had wanted to buy dozens of them and maybe even find a few in change but I couldn't find any nor get a quantity discount. Fortunately I was able to go through the several hundred examples available and pick the best coin.

Incredible at how fickle the market can be. A no mm proof sells for thousands of dollars but yet, these have no demand? Granted, I've never heard of them that I recall but it would seem that they would be alot more popular and in demand.

I am still baffled at the lack of attention for the 3 satin finish coins of the '90's.

One sure way to create recognition is by placing a slot for them in the most popular folders as mentioned.

thanks for the replies.. i could read about these all day long. compareable to no mm proofs, not the 22.. perfect. not many no mm circs around.. 11,000 approx mintage.... if they ever hit whitmans it's over... i'm gonna have to buy one, no more boxes.. they're not in circ anymore. someday it'll be nice to have a relatively high grade example.. greysheets list them in the back on the monthly.... they seem to sell a significant amount higher than that.

who'd sell me one?

greysheets - XF $60, AU $65, MS60 $80, MS 63 $120, MS64 $135, MS65 $175

i don't care what grade i get... the higher the better. cash in hand thumbsup2.gif

i just went through $500 in dimes..

I would strongly recommend finding a girlfriend.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Jazzy, I horked up a big gulp of coffee into my sinus cavity when I read that! 27_laughing.gif

That's the second time this message board has almost killed me.

Hays

I forgot to add that my stepfather found one in change.

Also, I don't think CladKing mentioned it but there are 2 different "versions" (I guess you could say).....one is a very mushy strike, for lack of a better choice of words....this one isn't what you want.....you want the strong strike.

I forgot to add that my stepfather found one in change.

Also, I don't think CladKing mentioned it but there are 2 different "versions" (I guess you could say).....one is a very mushy strike, for lack of a better choice of words....this one isn't what you want.....you want the strong strike.

The Sandusky release were the strong strike. The other releases were the weak strikes. Curiously the weak strikes were struck first but then the dies were adjusted (probably while other dies in a quad press were being changed) and then the strong strikes were made. Even the strong strikes have a lot of weakness on the date and lower periphery lettering. There are at least a handful of coins with nearly full strikes. These may have been test strikes right before the strong strikes started. This die acquired some significant wear so it's possible that mintage estimates are low.