• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those that post across the street... I have a giveaway going!

12 posts in this topic

Just in case any folks over here want to pop across and enter my giveaway for a nicely toned Morgan Silver dollar....I thought I would post a link thumbsup2.gif

It's not that you folks aren't good enough for a giveaway it's just that I hit the 4,000 post milestone over there 893applaud-thumb.gif

4,000 Post Giveaway!!!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Ode to Toners

I like those pretty tones a lot

I like them when the color’s HOT

Please don’t say that I forgot

To mention that they’re worth a lot

I look at them here, I look at them there

I look at them almost anywhere

I know I’m weird but I don’t care

I look at them in my underwear!

On a boat or on a train

In a car or on a plane

In the sun or in the rain

I’ve got toners on the brain!

Those toners make me really swoon

They even make me kinda moon

I know I sound just like a loon

I hope to get more very soon!

I search for toners like I’m crazed

I search for them many different ways

I’m sure that you won’t be amazed

I’ve got more bids than there are days!

By me

Hays

Look at it this way.....I had to post 4,000 times just to get 1 thread to stay on the main page for a day. I get much more air time here with my 2614 thumbsup2.gif

My contribution, which you may feel free to post across the street (since I cannot):

The toning factor is integral to the originality of a coin. Suppose you have ten old coins that have spent decades toning in their paper envelopes, or old albums. They are as unique and different from each other as are your children. But if you now strip away their color, you are left with ten coins that look alike, and are not special in any way. Likewise, the enjoyment of raising your children would be diminished if, despite your desire to respect and value them as individuals, they all dressed alike, talked alike, thought alike, played alike and loved and hated everything alike.

What is sadly misunderstood by 99% of the people who buy coins is that every single coin that exists has some toning. Granted, in many cases, the toning is so light as to be unnoticeable, but nonetheless, even a coin fresh off the dies has some kind of toning. So why try to force them to be alike by dipping them? What gives you the right? Let the coins be, and let them become whatever it is that they should become. The smartest thing we can do as collectors is to provide the best possible environment for them to develop.

The same can be said of our children.

James

Well, Shane, since I don't post across the street, I guess I'll have to post it here:

Toning lends a special sense of feeling about a coin. It is the same as looking at a coin that has seen two hundred years of wear and handling and wondering whose hands it has passed through. For me, it can best be summed up by this well-known ad................

When I take a bite of a York Peppermeint Patty I get the feeling...........

Chris

My contribution, which you may feel free to post across the street (since I cannot):

The toning factor is integral to the originality of a coin. Suppose you have ten old coins that have spent decades toning in their paper envelopes, or old albums. They are as unique and different from each other as are your children. But if you now strip away their color, you are left with ten coins that look alike, and are not special in any way. Likewise, the enjoyment of raising your children would be diminished if, despite your desire to respect and value them as individuals, they all dressed alike, talked alike, thought alike, played alike and loved and hated everything alike.

What is sadly misunderstood by 99% of the people who buy coins is that every single coin that exists has some toning. Granted, in many cases, the toning is so light as to be unnoticeable, but nonetheless, even a coin fresh off the dies has some kind of toning. So why try to force them to be alike by dipping them? What gives you the right? Let the coins be, and let them become whatever it is that they should become. The smartest thing we can do as collectors is to provide the best possible environment for them to develop.

The same can be said of our children.

James

I did just that James thumbsup2.gif

Are you bammed as well Chris??? foreheadslap.gif

Are you bammed as well Chris??? foreheadslap.gif

No, I just don't go there unless someone from here provides a link about a particular subject. When I first enrolled here, I was afraid that some may think me a little crazy, but then I realized that everyone was a little nuts in their own way. I'm happy here and I have no desire to test the waters elsewhere.

Chris