• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Our side of the street"?

38 posts in this topic

I participate on both boards since they both have a lot to offer. Why limit yourself to just one side of the street?

I agree with this statement in theory but time is a limiting factor. I prefer to “know” the folks that I am bantering with. It’s easier for me to digest the information they are offering if I know what their interests and areas of expertise are. I just don’t have time to “know” everyone at both boards so I mostly stay here.

over there most are coin whores out to give their "johns" (people buying expensive pieces of plastic with coins of face value worth out of the holder)

the creeping crud (take as much of their johns money) and the clap with a little herpes simplex thrown into the mix that is the strain that has no cure and slowly eats you from the inside out

all in the name of the almightly $$$$$

as most all of the threads on the coin boards are either my grades i got in plastic and i am extremely angry as pcgs did not price them right for me so i can sell them for multiples of what i paid for them

or some sleezebay feedback arguments

or crying as their coins thsat they are checking on ten times a day did not gety graded yet

or they got their grades and they made a plastic killing and they can put it up for sale as they got the grades even though the coins are not back yet

or waht will this grade if i send it into pcgs???? so then i can buy it cheap and make a killing getting it graded by pcgs with their plastic around it

I hate to say it but Michael Is right - Its not worth my time to rummage through the *spoon* listed above to FIND the pertinent information for my growth

- YES thats right its all about me smile.gif _

makepoint.gif

Bill,

What I like over here better than over there is that people are much more tolerant of other people's interest. There aren't nearly so many people trying to tell people what they shouldn't collect.

Please don’t put words in my mouth. You can read ALL of my posts on modern coins over there and over here, and you will not find one sentence that criticized WHAT people collect. What I did was to warn them about HOW MUCH they might pay for something.

In my experience nothing has soured me more on a coin than to know that I’ve been had big time. I’m not talking about paying a fair price for something that can’t be immediately recovered in the wholesale market. I’m talking about paying double or more what something is worth and losing hundreds or thousands of dollars in the process. It’s the kind of sinking feeling that turns an enjoyable hobby into a worrisome pursuit or an unpleasant obsession.

Sadly I’ve seen people who purchased the so-called classic coins from crooked dealers who sold them shiny AU coins as MS-65 pieces. I’ve seen collections full of coins for which people paid $1,500 to $4,000 for each coin only to find that the true market value of what they had was $200 or less. Everyone who has any ethical sense at all condemns such practices by those dealers, and some of those dealers have had the Federal Trade Commission shut them down and ban them from the coin business for life. Yet when it comes to modern coins, people who do the same thing are exempt from criticism. Why is that?

Please don’t put words in my mouth.

Sorry Bill, I think I wasn't clear. I don't think you were at all criticizing what others collect. I was making a general comment that over here we can discuss these things w/o telling others they're *spoon* for collecting what they do and I include your posts in that. I had no problem with what you said.

It is very important to be able to give each other feedback about the coins we buy. If we just sit around and blow sunshine into each other's danscos nobody will learn anything. But here I don't feel personal attacks when people don't like my coins.

cheers,

Jerry

I have to admit I found this site when after a two week hiatus from posting ATS I came back to multiple posters being bammed for no apparent reason. One was bammed for saying he was going to take a break from posting for a while until the maelstrom subsided. I've found both sites to be informative and I still occasionally post ATS as well. That being said, I do have a few issues with some of their policies and some of the posters.

I personally don't collect "moderns", I have a few to fill holes in my 7070, but that's the extent of my interest. Also, I saw how certain posters defended [quite vociferously] their interest in moderns and, moreover, their willingness to spend five-figure sums of $$ on them. I made a conscious decision simply to not enter into discussions with them.

Lastly, there are going to be @$$H0!e$ whereever you go but for some reason I attracted several ATS that felt the need to bash my purchasing habits in general. I'm a collector. Moreover, I'm a collector that views this hobby [yes...this is a HOBBY for me...not a way of life] as a diversion from my work-life and my family. As such, I don't spend hours upon hours pouring over coin forums or the grey-sheet to figure out how to spend $10K on a coin. If I spend $200 on a coin, it's a big deal for me... $10K???!!!...that's a down payment on a new truck and a summer vacation with my family! I go to these forums for fun, I certainly don't need some rich snob with an attitude telling me to "double down and buy a real coin" with my $400 in consulting money.

This and the "December purges" prompted me to simply take my interest elsewhere. As I said, I still lurk ATS, but a rarely post any more.

Leo

There are plenty of good posters with lots of good information there - with a bit of effort and patience, you can get an answer to almost any question. Ditto for this forum.

Mark, when are you coming back? They are going with "First Day of Issue" instead of "First Strike", so I think you are safe now! tongue.gif