• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rolls and rolls of silver half dollars

2 posts in this topic

So in conversation the other day, my stepfather mentioned that he had an old collection of coins. I, of course, asked if I could see them, only expecting to see a couple of buffalo nickels and maybe a morgan or two.

He came back downstairs with an old mint bag he'd picked up somewhere and I started emptying it onto the table in the living room. He had rolls and rolls of self-rolled half dollars. When I started opening them, this is what I saw:

...etc...

Turns out, he had 107 1964/1964-D Kennedy HDs, as well as 12 silver clad Kennedys in varying states of circulation.

That's not all...

I turned my attention to several more rolls of half dollars and started opening them. You guessed it: 42 Franklins and 32 Walking Liberties. The Bens and WLs are all in low grade circulated, mostly VG, F, and a few VFs.

So we now have a total of 181 90% silver half dollars and 12 silver-clads. That's 69 oz of silver! I considered offering face + 10%, but I'm not that evil, and besides, he's married to my mom after all. devil.gif

To add to the fun, we pulled out some little boxes filled with wadded up cotton balls and some old flips. These contained 5 Morgan dollars, 4 Peace dollars, an uncirculated Eisenhower with blue token, and a 1992 unc. ASE. Add 8.3 more oz. of silver to make a grand total of 77.3 oz of silver. Figure silver spot at about $14.30/oz or so, and...

The Grand Total Bullion Value: $1,105.39.

And all that from a bunch of low-grade coins sitting forgotten in a closet. What sort of advice should I give him on the coins? Sell now while the market's up? He's not really an active collector these days, so if he decided to sell them, he'll probably ask me to do it for him. If he does want to sell them, how does one go about that? I've never sold coins for bullion value before.

BTW,

Also had a couple of older foreign coins in with the mix. I don't know much of anything about foreign stuff, though.

1914 Canada large cent

1916 Canada large cent

1932 Canada 10 cent

1947 Canada 25 cent

1893 Sweden 1 ore

USA OPA red HT token c. 1944-5

Goes to show you what you can find in some people's closets... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Side question: I found both large-S and small-S 1942 WL HDs in the mix - any difference in value?

...Ouch, somebody must have heard me. Kitco's got silver down to around $12.75. Should have sold it for melt yesterday afternoon! I'm still interested in anyone's suggestions regarding my questions above.