• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade.... 2 Franklin Halves --Revealed--

45 posts in this topic

Alright, another grading test! Humm… I think you picked these to trick us newbies. The 1948 (top coin) at first glance I thought the obverse had taken a few hits, but after a second look I think it is just toned, and the reverse is a little easier to see that it is VERY clean plus you can easily see the FBL. My guess and MS65

The 1954 is shinier BUT shiny doesn’t mean luster. (even though there is some luster in the fields) There is some wear – I think it’s wear and not a weak strike (the letters and the date are too sharp for a weak strike) The reverse shows some wear too, enough to break up the bell lines a little. Would it still be considered FBL? Because I think I can make them out. My guess a high AU maybe 55 or 58

Hays

Hang it up Hays. Silvereagle and I are already going to split up the winnings!! lol

JUST JOKING.

The 48 is very nicely detailed but the mottled look detracts from it in my opinion.

I still love it!

I like the luster on the 54 but don't like the weak strike. Bruce already answered back that the weak strike is normal for that year.

Somehow I have the feeling that the given grades are not what we think and that the 54 graded higher than the 48. If that is the case, I'd have to disagree.

Hang it up Hays. Silvereagle and I are already going to split up the winnings!! lol

JUST JOKING.

The 48 is very nicely detailed but the mottled look detracts from it in my opinion.

I still love it!

I like the luster on the 54 but don't like the weak strike. Bruce already answered back that the weak strike is normal for that year.

Somehow I have the feeling that the given grades are not what we think and that the 54 graded higher than the 48. If that is the case, I'd have to disagree.

27_laughing.gif I doubt you have to worry about me! I an REALLY green.

I really don't see any hits on the 48 at all so - MS66

The 54 still looks like an AU to me, but if it's just a weak strike... I think there are a couple of dings on his collar - but that's all. So an MS65

Did somebody already guess that? I can't remember.

Hays

Anybody suprised at all

HA! Another trick question.

PCGS wasn't giving FBL designations on those old rattlers.

Nice coins though! I didn't try to grade them - not my area of interest.

Anybody suprised at all

HA! Another trick question.

PCGS wasn't giving FBL designations on those old rattlers.

and thus why this was posted..... The 1948 D is worth about a Grand if it went MS66 FBL in today's market and about 200 in MS 65 FBL ... and in MS 64 can be had for under 30.00... Now the 1954 is worth about 50 to 60 in MS65 and about 30 in MS 64.... quite a price difference from now till then on the 48 D and not so much on the 54... Toning adds 10% to the value as it is rather nice on both coins if you ask me... Granted the coins are slabbed by a top notch company...

I'll take a shot(s). MS-64 FBL on the 1948, and MS-64 on the 1954. The 1948 is usually a very well struck issue, as your example shows, but I think the luster lacks a little pop for a full gem grade. The 1954 has some wispy bagmarks on Franklin's shoulder, and several pinprick bagmarks below and left of the date. Both coins show wonderful originality, however, and are coins that I would love to own!

James

I am not sure if you meant 48 D, but I am thinking you did not see the D as the 48 is often struck well but the 48 D is not seen as often struck so well... A quick look at the NGC pop shows...

1948 - 940 graded non FBL and 1074 in FBL 514 in MS65, 61 in MS 66 and 2 in MS 67 and none higher

1948 D - 1027 graded non FBL and 868 in FBL 420 in MS 65, and only 9 in MS 66 with none higher..... That small sample says alot on the date itself.... I know the 48 D has 98 in MS66 FBL in PCGS..none higher ... I am not sure on the 48 numbers, but I would assume they are about the same ratio or so.. I guess you can say I cherrypicked these coins since I got them both at MS 64 prices for the current market.

Bruce, I also wanted to thank you for being such a good sport during your recent "roasting". That was one of the funniest and enjoyable threads I've ever read (good job jazzy).

You're a lot younger than I thought. I pictured you being one of the "old" pros on this board. You're a pro for sure but definitely not old!

I am not a pro by far. I am still learning myself.. Pro is a word that really should not be used. We are all students of the coins anyhow. smile.gif But thanks for the comments.