• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade.... 2 Franklin Halves --Revealed--

45 posts in this topic

Both Graded by PCGS Good luck

1948dfh.jpg

1954fh.jpg

fsi.jpg

The 1948 - D is a No Brainer MS65 FBL, with a shot at MS66 FBL. Looks really nice in hand. This coin is Mint set Toned and really attractive to me in hand. Screams original! Pops are fairly low on MS66 FBL coins 9 by NGC and 98 by PCGS with none higher! Last one sold at Hertiage for about a grand(PCGS) and it was dipped out.

The 1954 is an MS65. Coin has some great rainbow colors on the edges and wonderful attractiveness to the coin. Luster is really nice on this coin but the hits keep it at MS65. The coin is lightly golden on the front which makes this coin very pleasing in hand.. This coin also screams of orignality.

Both of the coins reside in PCGS First Gen Holders, which are also known as Rattlers. These holders came out in 1986 and were used for some time. Most of the coins that were in these holders have long been cracked out and resubmitted for desinations and other upgrades. Thanks for all who tried.

Could this be an example of MS - AU threshhold? The 1954 seems to have very minor wear on bottom left of bell and hair behind ear and as such would be AU-53-55. I see no wear on the 1948 but toning breaks would lead me to think lower MS such as 61-63.

Please let us know what the "real" grades are.

Thank you as these are GREAT exercises.

Regis

I'll take a shot(s). MS-64 FBL on the 1948, and MS-64 on the 1954. The 1948 is usually a very well struck issue, as your example shows, but I think the luster lacks a little pop for a full gem grade. The 1954 has some wispy bagmarks on Franklin's shoulder, and several pinprick bagmarks below and left of the date. Both coins show wonderful originality, however, and are coins that I would love to own!

James

Trying to imagine what those coins actually look like in hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see MS66FBL and MS65 respectively. However, looking at a pic is always a guessing game.

My immediate reaction to these coins was MS-65 FBL for the 1948, and MS65 for the 1954. Without seeing them in hand I can't be sure. And I am also not sure what PCGS might have said about the bell lines on the 1954. I would say they were not full, but I grade by NGC standards, and the PCGS "standards" for FBL just don't cut it for me. So PCGS might have said they were full.

Well, I'm sure glad that I under-graded (by far) as opposed to over-grading. Lot to learn though...great project.

Regis

This is not such a great project for a learner.... you will find out when I reveal the grades.... as a side bonus... if anyone gets the grades that are on the slab they will win a free 1934 Heavy Motto Circ QTR...

the 1954 seems to show signs of wear on the hair maybe just a weak strike but I would guess that is EF45. the 48 is clearly a nice coin my first guess was MS64FBL but everyone else is sure of MS65FBL.

1948 - 64FBL Looks great except for mottled toning

1954 - AU58 Beautiful luster but slightly circulated. May just be a week strike

Strike on the 54 is on par for the series.....

Okay, I'll try again.

1954 - MS63 (but it doesn't look that good, at least to my untrained eye).

Bruce, I also wanted to thank you for being such a good sport during your recent "roasting". That was one of the funniest and enjoyable threads I've ever read (good job jazzy).

You're a lot younger than I thought. I pictured you being one of the "old" pros on this board. You're a pro for sure but definitely not old!