• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Give us newbies a hand in grading.

42 posts in this topic

I just posted the same coins Jazzy posted but in one image

And I learned a great deal about the intricacies of grading this particular series from the gurus on the board. I'll wait a bit for responses, then give you the skinny on the whole thing.

Here are my 'attempts' at this grade-by-photo??

DD - Walker Half -No wear, deep Cameo Rouffed up in bag - MS-62 - Love the DC and hope I find one I can afford

Regis - Walker half - VF

Spider - Kennedy - EF but looks cleaned ???

Jazz - Large Coronet - EF - but I don't know how to subtract/grade the extra wear on reverse bottom???

Spider - IKE - MS65+

Brotherman - Morgan - MS61

"one amature view"

Regis

Just a few pointers...the Walking Liberty Half in question is a business strike and does not exhibit any Deep cameo contrast as that can only be found on Proof issues and ocasionally on the 60's SMS coins. You are correct that it could have been roughed up in a mint bag, but again if it was a proof this could not be the case as proofs were handled with more care after striking and did not get shipped or stored in canvas mint bags thumbsup2.gif

Hope that helps a little flowerred.gif

43p_2.jpg

REALLY????????????????

WOW. The obverse is so weakly struck that it looks like MAJOR rub.

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice coin.

But I think I'm going to commit apostasy and convert to EAC standards.

ANd what about the FINGERPRINTS? How is a coin MS with FINGERPRINTS?

gifnograde1th.gif

My nephew helped me post this one - hope It works

Hays

Nice Reverse and I like the die clash, too! The obverse holds it back.

Chris

REALLY????????????????

WOW. The obverse is so weakly struck that it looks like MAJOR rub.

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice coin.

But I think I'm going to commit apostasy and convert to EAC standards.

ANd what about the FINGERPRINTS? How is a coin MS with FINGERPRINTS?

MS denotes mint state.....so if there is no wear or rub on the coin then it's mint state. I could leave a print on a coin without leaving a rub....just the slightest touch is enough to leave a print on a coin where as it could be banging around in a canvas bag for years and still be mint state. I think I would prefer a small print vs years of bag marks thumbsup2.gif

Take a stab at this one - a bit of an advanced question...

BTW, the book you want to get is the "ANA Grading Standards". It should be illegal to buy a coin without first studying this book.

From the ANA book page 235:

MS-65 - No trace of wear; nearly as perfect as MS-67 except for some small blemishes. Has full mint luster but may be unevenly toned or lighty fingermarked. May be weakly struck in one or two small spots.A few minute nicks or marks may be present.

I guess you missed this page cool.gif

1884O-1.jpg

I think it was a bit tricky because of the great difference between the obverse and reverse. I believe the obverse is maybe an MS61, reverse an MS64 for the net grade of 62. Poor thing took almost all her hits to the face! makepoint.gif

But I still like it…and I have to admit this wasn’t the first time I took an ugly girl home just because she had a cute reverse! But THAT’S another story… blush.gif

Thanks to everyone for posting their coins – and thanks to all the pros for giving us feedback! It was fun, I hope we do more of this! smile.gif

Hays

I just posted the same coins Jazzy posted but in one image

And I learned a great deal about the intricacies of grading this particular series from the gurus on the board. I'll wait a bit for responses, then give you the skinny on the whole thing.

Jazzy – the suspense is KILLING me! Please spill the beans!!

Hays

crazy.gif

BOTH are graded MS 65 by NGC, but would be graded very differently by EAC standards. I'll elaborate later - don't feel like going into a big treatise right now.