• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Give us newbies a hand in grading.

42 posts in this topic

I figure the only way to get good at grading is to practice.

With that said, it would be cool if the experienced collectors would posted some pics of coins - but don’t post the grade right away! Wait a day or so and then post the real grade. In the meantime let the newbies (myself included) try to grade it.

Newbies – you must post your opinion of the grade! That puts a little pressure on us. crazy.gif

Hays

Hays----Know what you are looking for and----in one word---get a subscription to a Mag called 'Coin Values'. With every issue, you get a series presented that has pictures of all the grades [from AG to MS coins]. They are most helpful. Granted, you must wait for each issue----but nobody learns it all in a year or two anyway. Bob [supertooth]

I started not to post this because yours looks sooooo good but, here goes:

1943-half.jpg

One of my recent (newie) buys. $7 at antique auction.

Take a stab at this one - a bit of an advanced question...

BTW, the book you want to get is the "ANA Grading Standards". It should be illegal to buy a coin without first studying this book.

coronet.jpg

coronetrev..jpg

D.D. - It looks to me that there is only slight wear on your Walker - I'm grade would be AU58

Regis44 - Humm, I'm gonna say VF...VF35?

Spider - The Kennedy Half is a little tough. It looks like there is pretty even wear but there are a lot of details, like the hair. I have to say XF45

Jazzy - HOLY COW! WHAT A DIE CRACK!! This one is tough. It's pretty easy to make out those lines that cross in the stars, most of them anyway. The very top of the rim has me stumped. Is that wear or maybe with that bad of a die crack the coin was stuck more weakly in that area?? There seem to be very few hits or marks at all - 2 on the face, one at 10:00 another at 2:00. I'm gonna say (gulp) MS65 - and I'm gonna order that book!

OK other newbies, you have to post your scores.

Now I'm going to try and figure out how to post one of my coins...

Hays

Like I said, it is raw… About 25 years ago, long before I ever heard of the proper way to handle and store coins I threw this in a coffee can with the rest of my stash. At some point later I put it in a cloth pull string bag with some other old coins and stored it in my Gun Cabinet. That explains the bag marks.

1968kennedy002obv25ps.jpg

I won't tell you the grades or opinions but I will provide a tip for you.......what you are seeing as wear on some of these coins is actually just weaker strike elements. I am pretty sure that several of the coins you rated as circulated and simply just not fully struck from the mint. This is extremely tricky in the beginning and takes a lot of practice to get thwe hang of.....I'll try to find a weakly struck uncirculated "O" mint Morgan to show you an example of how a weak strike can look like wear to the untrained eye thumbsup2.gif

Like this.....MS62 with no wear but the ear and hair above the ear aren't fully struck and probably look like wear to you 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1884OMorganobv.jpg

Jazzy, I have to rethink my grade, the reverse wasn't loading (or I wasn't waiting for it to load) and I see a little more wear. An AU? I'll hold off on the number because I think I'm being too specific for my abilities.

Spider - cool another one! That looks like a mighty frosty Ike. I can only make out a little nick on the neck and maybe two more behind the ear. MS65

Hays

Like I said, it is raw… About 25 years ago, long before I ever heard of the proper way to handle and store coins I threw this in a coffee can with the rest of my stash. At some point later I put it in a cloth pull string bag with some other old coins and stored it in my Gun Cabinet. That explains the bag marks.

1968kennedy002obv25ps.jpg

The bigger picture helps a lot - and I think Shane is right because to me his MS62 Morgan DOES look like it has some wear. With that said - I have to give the Kennedy a MS63, though there are marks they aren't that distracting.

Hays

Brotherman, both of your assessments on the Matron are on the right track.

It's a bit of a trick question.

Did it get BB'd for PVC? I see a spot on the leaves at 11 o'clock.

Brotherman, both of your assessments on the Matron are on the right track.

It's a bit of a trick question.

Did it get BB'd for PVC? I see a spot on the leaves at 11 o'clock.

It sits in a holder right now.... if I am correct

Here are my 'attempts' at this grade-by-photo??

DD - Walker Half -No wear, deep Cameo Rouffed up in bag - MS-62 - Love the DC and hope I find one I can afford

Regis - Walker half - VF

Spider - Kennedy - EF but looks cleaned ???

Jazz - Large Coronet - EF - but I don't know how to subtract/grade the extra wear on reverse bottom???

Spider - IKE - MS65+

Brotherman - Morgan - MS61

"one amature view"

Regis

Yes, hands-on experience is the best teacher, but a good foundation to relate back to, especially for beginners is a good grading book. Along with the ANA grading book, another good volume regarding circulated coin grading is "Photograde". It has (not perfect, but quite helpful) pictures of actual coins in their various grades for you to compare your coins with.

Also, on page two of the list of "US Coins" threads here, I gave a link to a site that has a complete book on grading uncirculated coins that you can read (for free) online. The subject title of the thread is "Nice, online coin grading resource!" smile.gif

Yes, hands-on experience is the best teacher, but a good foundation to relate back to, especially for beginners is a good grading book. Along with the ANA grading book, another good volume regarding circulated coin grading is "Photograde". It has (not perfect, but quite helpful) pictures of actual coins in their various grades for you to compare your coins with.

Also, on page two of the list of "US Coins" threads here, I gave a link to a site that has a complete book on grading uncirculated coins that you can read (for free) online. The subject title of the thread is "Nice, online coin grading resource!" smile.gif

Thank you, that is great link

Regis

Brotherman,

Is there a particular series that may be your favorite or maybe your more familiar with?

Right now I'm looking for a series to settle into. I do love toned coins though so I'll continue to get those from time to time. What about you Spider? Are you working on a set?

Hays

I am not quite a newbie, but close enough.

I am going to say DD's half is MS-64, with typical early forties weakness. I don't think I see any luster breaks.

Regis44 I will say has VF-30.

Spider, The Ike looks MS66 or 67. And the same for the quarter. Nice clean fields, and a good strike. Nice coins.

Jazzy, no idea on this one. I have no experience with early coins, and I don't particularly like copper.

Brotherman, looks like your Morgan is 62 obverse, 64 reverse. I would say total grade is 63, but Morgan grades often perplex me.

Let me know how I did.

oops, I posted before I saw there were new coins...

Spider - that is a very nice Washington quarter! I don't see anything wrong with except a little contact rub in the field behind Washington's head. I'm thinking it came from just rubbing up to another coin in a roll. It is an MS for sure - MS66

Bruce - GREAT strike! And another wild die crack - WHEW! Is that mint luster I see?? There are so few hits on this thing and the ones that are there are tiny. Maybe only 3 on the front and 3 on the back. I must say I'm not sure those are marks on the back, it could be glare from the light used to photograph it. I'm going to say MS65. There is definite eye appeal here!

Hays