• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Lee, first off, Happy belated Birthday! Best wishes for many more Happy and Healthy Birthdays!!!.

Second, VERY nice coin. No doubt about it, for a coin collector, self birthday presents are the best. Good pick!

Four dollars! The guy might as well have given it away. thumbsup2.gif

This is very true. He said he had some more coins. I will be back there next week to check what he has!

Super coin Bruce for nothing money. Can't even get a burger for that price. Here are my pics of the 2c piece I got for my birthday:

Img24320.jpg

Img24327.jpg

Img24303.jpg

Img24305.jpg

Appreciate the Birthday wishes guy's!!! Mike that's a "Wow" example, congrat's!!! This lincoln arrived Thursday I believe:

56DLINCOLNOBV1.jpg

56DLINCOLNREV3.jpg

Appreciate the Birthday wishes guy's!!! Mike that's a "Wow" example, congrat's!!! This lincoln arrived Thursday I believe:

56DLINCOLNOBV1.jpg

56DLINCOLNREV3.jpg

man I like that one alot very nice coin!! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifthumbsup2.gif

I have a seen a couple of these and not known what they are. This looks real nice, can you tell me what “Hard Times Tokens” are?

Thanks, Winston

Hard Times tokens were issued by private parties in the period from 1837-1844. President Jackson had chosen to not renew the charter for the Second Bank of the United States, so the most reliable paper currency was suddenly removed from commerce. Less reliable banks took its place, issuing large quantities of notes with little or no REAL value. The notes also traded with different clout everywhere. Federal coins were hoarded and Gresham's Law (bad money will drive out the good) proved true. These tokens were usually issued with political meanings and are large cent sized. People liked having hard money to put their faith in.

Thank you! smile.gif

-Amanda

A New one I grabbed tonight .. I Don't think I have seen a CAMEO STAR before

I think Maybe SAEN had one not sure though

1452090-be_1.jpg

1452090-be_1.jpg.0f87970d8e9f91cccb64b288dfccd3a2.jpg

Mike, Amanda, and Mark: Very nice additions!!! thumbsup2.gif

Just won this 1808 Bustie from Dennis Tarrant off his eBay website, tarrant-numismatica. He is Forum Member numismatica. I purchased an 1810 Bustie from Dennis a couple years ago, loved it, and sold to a forum member. I think this one will be even nicer than the 1810. Looks to have original surfaces, a little color, and some degree of rarity smile.gif. Here is Dennis' description of the coin:

This 1808 Capped Bust Half Dollar is O-109a, an R.3 variety. This is a tough variety to grade. Based on details alone, this is a solid VF. If grading by surfaces, this coin would grade EF or better as ample luster is observed in the protected areas (especially on the reverse). The images don't quite capture the beauty of this coin. It is more of a natural, dark tone with subtle underlying hints of blue/green toning on the obverse. The reverse is mostly a natural toned silver color with just a blush of blue toning. I have included a few images taken under different conditions. In hand, the coin looks most like the bottom image of the obverse. O-109a is a late die state for the die marriage and is referred to as a shattered die (see obverse breaks through date/hair/bust). Due to the die state, there's not much rim left on this variety.....as struck.

According to Heritage Archives This variety is confirmed by the joining of the two lower arrowheads, and the crack connecting the tops of the letters ED STATES OF AMER is indicative of the die state.

Here are Dennis' pics of the coin and I'll add mine after the coin arrives:

1808half1.jpg

1808half2.jpg

1808halfobv.jpg

Hmm 65 with that large gouge on Georges temple and looks like Display book scratches across the cheek .. I think it was a very forgiving grade but what do I know smile.gif

The Scratch you see is on the slab I can tell you that. This coin seems to have decent luster and a decent strike. Add the color and you land at MS65. Few minor hits not in the focal area are allowed for MS65.

I picked this up in Denver and just now got around to scanning it. I don't own a digital camera so I apologize for the poor image quality. blush.gif

I am always impressed seeing Morgans design on a dime size planchet. I've owned two other examples of J1586 over the years but this is the finest I have seen.

J1586_o183_copy.jpg