• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,915 posts in this topic

re: 1794 Large Cent

I am quite pleased that you like the cent so very much! It's an amazing thing to behold, a cent that old and in such great shape still. I know that some people are so obsessed with the 1794 design that they collect it exclusively. I can truly see doing that, except that it'd drive me nuts. There are soething like 69 varieties with 9 of them listed as "NC" ("not collectable") by Sheldon due to their rarity. Ack. There are three very distinct types of 1794 cents, type of '93, head of '94 and head of '95. They are all quite cool.

Hoot

I love the crack on that penny, and the 1829 ain't too bad either! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Mike. The weakness on the right reverse is due to the die crack. It can be seen throughout its progression and the example shown is a mid-progression example. As the die crack progressed, part of the die became as a flap which resulted in a weak strike. This should not be confused with wear.

TrueView did a nice job on that '56 1c. Nice!

1867S2-0000Upload.jpg

I have to point out that this 1867 w/rays, in this condition, the luster, the color, the strike is far from an easy find. This is truly an OUTSTANDING coin cloud9.gif.

Lou, the coin SUCKS, you need to get rid of it.

takeit.gif

edited to add: to those of you not familiar with this coin, this is an example you can learn a lot from, you won't see the likes of it again.

Edited by MikeKing

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. It took 3 years to find a '67 w/rays that suits me. cloud9.gif

It is gorgeous, Lou! hail.gif I still need a w/ rays upgrade for my type collection. frown.gif

1408745-ve1866sn.jpg

New pics of a fairly recent acquition. PR63 for hairlines:

ve19131bq.jpg

1408745-ve1866sn.jpg.15b09eed830c33dc61a9be21d834be4d.jpg

ER, the Gobrecht dollar may not necessarily be the Big Kahuna of US coins but it is pretty darn close! hail.gif

p.s. Bruce, yes sir, indeed! It is most certainly a sweet image! thumbsup2.gif Now what have you done for me lately? crazy.gif

Thanks again, Brewster, for the hook up! acclaim.gif

Yes, this is a proof. It's slabbed by PCGS as PF66 and I bought it for the attractive golden orange hue it has in combination with the grey and blue obverse center, which has a light cameo. It's not an expensive coin, but it's nice.

skyman I'm not a collector of Morgan $1's but, I like that 1886! smile.gif Tom that's a very nice Jeff! cool.gif

Another chinook win for me: grin.gif

1934.jpg

Leeg, I like both the '34 and the '56 a couple of pages ago. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Elbesaar nice 1929 SLQ. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks SkyMan!! smile.gif

This arrived today:

Img23921.jpg

Img23922.jpg

Img23924.jpg

Img23925.jpg