• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe not the smartest thing but....

23 posts in this topic

Back awhile back I had posted an 1859 O Half with a scratch on the back side for opinions. Well in my haste I forgot and left the coin I had just photoed on my desk. It was left sitting on a napkin. Well somehow in the shuffle another napkin got put on top of it. I lost track of the coin.(Not smart on my part) Anyhow went to clean my desk off a few weeks back and I was suprised at what happened. Now that everyone reading the story has cringed, here are the 2 sets of pictures.

1859o.jpg

1859ot.jpg

I will say I am lucky one for not messing the coin up, even being carefull as I am. But I double lucky as to what happened to the coin. Your thoughts?

Note: None of the photos have been messed with at all. All of this took place from about Jan 7(time of the first post) and about the middle of march.

Well, Brewster, it looks a heck of alot better now. Question I have is what kind of nuclear goo you have on your desk to tone it so quickly? I had some Walkers in an old commem album for a year and a half in a window in the heat and humidity and they didn't do a damn thing! Don't mind me, I'm just jealous is all. crazy.gif

Actually, you got lucky. It's appearance is much improved. Put the sucker up on ebay. It would most certainly sell at a premium.

Yes I was shocked at how much it changed. Maybe it the drinks that were set near it or the conditions in my room? Who knows. I will agree the appearance is much improved. So much so I am temped to put it back on my desk for another month or 2. I am not going to chance fate. Thanks for the comments. On a side note if I could figure out why this one got so much color so fast, I would sell my desk on ebay ** Guaranteed to Tone Coins** Will not part out... HAHA and you know someone would bid on it just for that fact. The napkin was one from Taco Bell, a brown one. Other than that and normal room conditions, nothing was done.

On a side note if I could figure out why this one got so much color so fast, I would sell my desk on ebay

sign-funnypost.gif

p.s. It is near perfect as it is (well, you know what I mean). Don't get greedy and try to tone it more 'cause it won't improve it.

haha the funny part about that is I have done nothing to my hair other than let it grow... its all natural that way. I just wake up and its like that. No gel needed

Bruce, we're bordering on too much information.

insane.gif

What can I say... its naturally curly hair... but back to this coin.. its rather nice now smile.gif

I think that it would fool many. If I didn't know the story then I'd say that it was an old cleaning that retoned over time.

So, since it was unintentional, would people still call it AT?

I would think not since it was messed with, fired up or chemicals put on it... now the fact it happened so fast still baffles me..

This is rather amazing, but I can completely believe it. I once had a bunch of cheap silver BU coins laying out on a varnished table and forgot them for about a month. Too bad I had the coins laying face up, because the reverse of every coin took on some pretty nice colors. If I would have had my wits about me, I should have just turned the coins over, waited another month, then had MONSTER TONERS for sale on eBay!

Congratulations - you lucked into something there!

James

This is rather amazing, but I can completely believe it. I once had a bunch of cheap silver BU coins laying out on a varnished table and forgot them for about a month. Too bad I had the coins laying face up, because the reverse of every coin took on some pretty nice colors. If I would have had my wits about me, I should have just turned the coins over, waited another month, then had MONSTER TONERS for sale on eBay!

Congratulations - you lucked into something there!

James

Those sound really neat, but the fact I forgot and left a pretty nice seated half out... Now what kinda premium would you think it would bring as far as toning goes extra 10%? more?

Those sound really neat, but the fact I forgot and left a pretty nice seated half out... Now what kinda premium would you think it would bring as far as toning goes extra 10%? more?

I'd say much more than that. It went from a coin that I would never want to own to one much closer to my likes. However, the reverse scratches would still discourage me from this actual coin but, with the new look, it makes the coin marketable to a broader range of collectors.

Hmmm...Taco Bell for lunch anyone? Amazing how quicly the coin toined in a positive manner. It is a definite "improvement" over the original. Could be time to experiment on some junk silver that I foolishly cleaned back in the late 60's.

Might have to crack out that Blast white 1825 CBH in the anacs holder as an experiment....it could certainly use some color. If I send the coin to you Bruce would you keep it in your fro to see how it tones? Just keep the pick away from it 27_laughing.gif

Might have to crack out that Blast white 1825 CBH in the anacs holder as an experiment....it could certainly use some color. If I send the coin to you Bruce would you keep it in your fro to see how it tones? Just keep the pick away from it 27_laughing.gif

haha sure smile.gif **Note: Use at own risk**