• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Excitement & Disappointment Strikes Again!

13 posts in this topic

We all do it. Send in our submissions and then check the website almost every day to see what the magic numbers are going to be. It's part of the fun of being a collector in my opinion. I've been waiting quite a while. Seems grading times are getting longer or maybe I'm just getting more impatient in my old age. I sent out a modern group of 10 and 2 economy groups sent out at different times. By luck one of the economy and the modern both graded this week to my excitement. Every time I make a submission, I always pre-grade each coin with a grade/wish value. Every submission to date I have always hit one of the two values that I put down. For some reason, either I really screwed up this time or NGC is getting pretty wacky on their grading because some were WAY off this time. Here's my list:

1939D Jefferson REV OF 38 Graded MS66 Mine MS67/MS68

1939S Jefferson REV OF 38 Graded MS65 Mine MS66/MS67

1939 Jefferson REV OF 40 Graded MS65 Mine MS66/MS67

1945D Jefferson Graded MS63 Mine MS66/MS67

1943P Jefferson Graded MS64 Mine MS67/MS68

2000S Sacagawea PF Graded PF70UC Mine PF69UC/PF70UC

2004S Sacagawea PF Graded PF69UC Mine PF69UC/PF70UC

2004P Jefferson Keelboat Graded MS67 Mine MS67/MS68

2005D Jefferson Keelboat Graded MS67 Mine MS67/MS68

1979P SBA Wide Rim Graded MS67 Mine MS66/MS67

1979S SBA PF Type2 Graded PF68UC Mine PF68UC/PF69UC

1981S SBA PF Type2 Graded PF68UC Mine PF68UC/PF69UC

1966 Kennedy SMS Graded MS67 Mine MS67/MS68

1981S Kennedy PF Type2 Graded PF68UC Mine MS69UC/MS70UC

1964 Kennedy PF Graded PF67 Mine PF67/PF68

Now you can see from my grading that there were some big dissapointments in the economy group. I have a complete uncirculated set of Jefferson nickels that I take a lot of pride in because I went through great pains to hand select each coin to make sure that it was MS65 and PF68 or higher to maintain the quality of the set. When I decided to begin sending in some of the key coins for certification, I never expected them to come back below my MS65 standard that I set. The strange thing is that the two coins that graded below 65 we my war nickels and these coins are beautifully toned and have a brilliant luster. I wonder from all the NT vs. AT discussions that have gone on around here if toning doesn't take away points now instead of give extra points for a beautiful coin.

The modern set didn't do as bad. I got two exciting coins. My third perfect PF70UC coin that I'm always proud to receive. The crown glory of my excitement was the 1979P Wide Rim SBA though. It's my very first real TOP POP coin! Looking at the census I now have one of only two in existance that have graded MS67 with none higher. Granted there haven't been that many graded, but it's still exciting to think that I finally have a coin that stands out above all others! My problem now is I've got the itch to sell it to see how much I can get for it. makepoint.gif Am I being stupid? Should I hang on to it? It would certainly raise enough funds to certify a lot more of the coins that I would like to send in from my collections. What to do...what to do.

The coins should be in this Saturday. I'm going to try and get my daughters camera and post some pictures and let you guys tell me if you agree or disagree with the grading on some of these coins. I'm still disappointed in the nickels and unfortunately, the other set of 5 economy that I have in are all beautifully toned war nickels. I hope they don't turn out the same way.

Give me your opinions of what you think I should do!

Thanks,

Greg

I think you did pretty well. NGC has been very tough on nickels lately, and I've had the same experience with toners. It's disappointing, to be sure, and goes to show that the periodic inconsistencies of TPGs exist everywhere. Other than the two pieces, I'd say that your submission showed fair consistency numerically. Look forward to your pics.

Hoot

I enjoyed this post! It was chocked full of your experiences and expectations. Plus, since you know your ju-ju on grading Jeff's, it gives a good indication of how NGC is currently grading.

I have a complete uncirculated set of Jefferson nickels that I take a lot of pride in because I went through great pains to hand select each coin to make sure that it was MS65 and PF68 or higher to maintain the quality of the set.

That ought to be a great set with loads of potential.

And, I'd say to sell the 67 SBA while the market is still somewhat strong for poptops of moderns.

Great post! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Congratulations on your MS67 SBA and PF70UC Sac. Frankly, if you aren't building a Proof Sacagawea set yourself, you might consider selling it as well. I've seen some eye popping prices (> $400) for that coin on eBay recently, given that it isn't in short supply and has a PF70UC population that's always increasing.

As for the SBA, please let us know about the venue/listing in Marketplace should you decide to sell it. wink.gif

Regards,

Beijim

The crown glory of my excitement was the 1979P Wide Rim SBA though. It's my very first real TOP POP coin! Looking at the census I now have one of only two in existance that have graded MS67 with none higher. Granted there haven't been that many graded, but it's still exciting to think that I finally have a coin that stands out above all others! My problem now is I've got the itch to sell it to see how much I can get for it. makepoint.gif Am I being stupid? Should I hang on to it? What to do...what to do.

Greg

What to do? This is probably the one question that plagues a collector more than anything.

At the time I submitted the 2001D Kennedy missing the clad layer, I sent in several others for grading. One came back MS67 and another came back MS68, and this was very pleasing because they came out of Mint bags. The 68 is my TOP POP (although I haven't checked the census reports lately) and there have been no listings to help me establish a value. Coin Values lists MS67 as $200. So, what should the 68 be worth? Maybe I should just try to sell the 67 and be satisfied that I recouped the grading fees and a profit to boot. Then again, I wouldn't be able to compare the two grades side-by-side anymore. If we had all the answers, how nice it would be.

However, I think you may have answered your own question. If the coin isn't an integral part of your collection and it is not a series that you choose to pursue, then maybe you should sell it.

Chris

I think you did pretty well. NGC has been very tough on nickels lately, and I've had the same experience with toners. It's disappointing, to be sure, and goes to show that the periodic inconsistencies of TPGs exist everywhere. Other than the two pieces, I'd say that your submission showed fair consistency numerically. Look forward to your pics.

Thanks Hoot. I know from some of your posts that you know exactly what I mean as well as a few others that love nickels. It does make me feel a little better, but it also frustrates me to think that I worked so hard to build what I thought was a premium set of raw nickels and now that I'm grading them, either I'm really wrong in my evaluation of their quality or NGC is being really tough on them.

My daughters got a great camera, so I should be able to come up with some great pics. I'm anxious to look at them again too. Sometimes when you're very near and dear to something you do tend to put it higher on the pedestal than it really should be as you can see in my wish columns when I grade them. Hopefully I'll have some pics up by Sunday if they get here Saturday!

Greg

I enjoyed this post! It was chocked full of your experiences and expectations. Plus, since you know your ju-ju on grading Jeff's, it gives a good indication of how NGC is currently grading.

Thank EZ_E. I'm thinking my ju-ju may be wrong though. Or NGC is getting really tough on grading Jeffs. I had hesitate sending in my other batch of 5 coins because I wanted to see how they graded and now I wish I had waited. I've found that it's not good to send a large batch in all at once and that's why I break my submissions up. I figure everyone has good days and bad days. Plus it may be a different group of graders the next time around.

That ought to be a great set with loads of potential.

I think my potential just got shot down with the MS63 and MS64 though. Now I have to begin a new search to replace those two coins to bring them back up to MS65 to keep the set at my standard. mad.gif

And, I'd say to sell the 67 SBA while the market is still somewhat strong for poptops of moderns.

This is exactly what triggered the thought to sell it. Numismedia shows a price of $1000 for it. PCGS shows a price of $3250 for it. If it trades like most other TOP POP coins, some collector with a wad of cash who doesn't care about the price is going to pay somewhere between those two prices. I love SBA's, but I think I can be bought. devil.gif

Thanks,

Greg

Congratulations on your MS67 SBA and PF70UC Sac. Frankly, if you aren't building a Proof Sacagawea set yourself, you might consider selling it as well. I've seen some eye popping prices (> $400) for that coin on eBay recently, given that it isn't in short supply and has a PF70UC population that's always increasing.

As for the SBA, please let us know about the venue/listing in Marketplace should you decide to sell it.

Thanks Beijim. I have complete raw sets of almost every modern coin of the 1900's with the exception of a few that I never got into. I've just recently started going back through them picking out the key dates and exceptional looking coins to have them certified. My registry sets are all over the place and I don't even know that I have an interest in building any particular one. I guess I just enjoy the hunt of putting a collection together and completing it. Now I'm going back and finding the jewels that I collected along the way.

I guess everyone has their own collecting style. I have particular pieces that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I've got 3 PF70UC coins (2000S & 2005S Sac, 2005S Buffalo Nickel) and they're great, but it's not like they're special to me. I guess the attraction for collecting for me is the story behind the collection. Each coin has a tale about how I acquired it, how a set came together, sending in a coin for certification and finding out it graded perfect. That's something that can never be taken away from you, even if you sell the coin. I may consider selling some of these off. All I really need to do is fill the hole that it leaves in the collection with another coin of the same type for the raw set. The extra money would be great for investing in the hobby so I'll have more stories to tell later in life.

I'll definately let everyone know what they go for if I decide to sell any of them.

Thanks,

Greg

What to do? This is probably the one question that plagues a collector more than anything.

At the time I submitted the 2001D Kennedy missing the clad layer, I sent in several others for grading. One came back MS67 and another came back MS68, and this was very pleasing because they came out of Mint bags. The 68 is my TOP POP (although I haven't checked the census reports lately) and there have been no listings to help me establish a value. Coin Values lists MS67 as $200. So, what should the 68 be worth? Maybe I should just try to sell the 67 and be satisfied that I recouped the grading fees and a profit to boot. Then again, I wouldn't be able to compare the two grades side-by-side anymore. If we had all the answers, how nice it would be.

However, I think you may have answered your own question. If the coin isn't an integral part of your collection and it is not a series that you choose to pursue, then maybe you should sell it.

You got that right Chris!

You know I love your Kennedy and it truly is a unique find. Those are the types of coins that I hold dear to my collection and would never let go. The SBA is king of the hill until someone else comes and knocks it off. SBA's are my specialty. The reason 1979 SBA Wide Rim's are so rare is because very few of them were released to circulation. What most people don't know is that there are millions of these sitting in a vault somewhere that haven't been released to circulation yet. The government may never release them, but if they did this coin could easily get knocked off the chart and its value would drop to almost worthless overnight.

I think you're probably right about answering my own question, but I think what is keeping me from doing it is the attraction of holding a TOP POP coin. Not everyone can say they have one, just like the way you proudly display your Kennedy. Know what I mean? Logic tells me to sell it though.

Thanks,

Greg

Oh my kingdom for a SBA 1981S type2 NGC 68-69

my wife,my dog and my two parrots even.<BG>

Tony,

Send pictures of the wife, dog, and parrots. devil.gif

See my email before we make a deal though. angel.gif

Thanks,

Greg

The reason 1979 SBA Wide Rim's are so rare is because very few of them were released to circulation. What most people don't know is that there are millions of these sitting in a vault somewhere that haven't been released to circulation yet. The government may never release them, but if they did this coin could easily get knocked off the chart and its value would drop to almost worthless overnight.

Hmmm, I didn't know that. Similar to the GSA hoard swaying the Morgan market.