• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1995 Cent. Billy amd Others I need help! (Large image)

15 posts in this topic

Here we have the back side of a 1995 Cent. I have had this for some time, but just pulled it out. It was marked Double Die Reverse which as you can see its not. But whats going on here? Help Anybody?

95el.jpg

It could be a strike-through, perhaps a very thing circle of some sort of material. But more likely, the planchet was defective. The parallel lines could be an artifiact from when the strip of coin metal was being planed down to proper thickness, and it got overly planed in that spot, or something like that. Fairly cool, and possibly worthy of a small premium.

James

Is it possible that another coin was stuck in the striking chamber and it resulted in this strike-through, reverse to reverse? It looks an awful lot like the steps and the roof of the Memorial rotated and misaligned slightly. Where is Billy!

Chris

From looking at your photo, it appears that the E of ONE and the C of CENT have been effected by these parallel lines. This would be an indicator that it was more than likely a strike thru of some kind. Normally, if the planchet had these lines before the strike, the strike itself would tend to flatten and obliterate them, especially on the lettering. Then again, you should see some of this effect on the bottom stairs also, which I don't, so that throws it back into a possible planchet defect. Either way, it is not a doubled die, however, it is a neat interesting effect.

WAVYSTEPS2003

From that last pic Murph posted, it looks like the Mint was experimenting with a scalloped-edge, sheet coin. 27_laughing.gif

Chris