• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neoprene gloves

7 posts in this topic

I've got access to some neoprene lab gloves at work, and I was thinking about using them when I have to handle my coins. Would that be a good idea or a bad one? I don't want to get any chems on my collection.

This is a great idea for the reasons you mention. However, it will also prevent the spreading of the "Bird Flu" as you handle all those coins with birds on them.

I personally wouldn't put rubber anywhere near my coins, but that isn't based on anything. Leave a rubber band on a coin for a few days and watch what happens...

Neoprene is actually a synthetic rubber. It's made by treating divinyl acetylene with sulfur dichloride. It's supposed to be inert, but I would wonder how much of the sulfur dichloride is left over as residue.

Neoprene gloves can smell something nasty and can leave your hands smelling like them for hours. I have never used gloves to handle coins and I know of no one who has ever told me that they use gloves. There is no reason to be paranoid, just be careful.