• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace Dollar?

28 posts in this topic

A few questions....

1. How does the luster compare to other dates in the series? Better? Worse?

2. How the does weakly struck center of the observe effect the grade?

3. How would toning effect the value? A small cresent tone on an UNC coin...

4. What would you pay for a raw UNC coin?

I've handled quite a few of these ranging in grade from VG through MS-63 or so. The luster on these is very much different than that of other Peace dollars, and completely different from that of, say, Morgans. 1921s have almost a matte, pebbly texture, and very little cartwheel effect. The high points tend to be overly shiny due to generally poor striking quality, but if you find a nicely struck coin (rare indeed), it should have the satiny texture overall.

I like this coin with no toning, or with plenty of toning.

This not being a particularly counterfeited issue, I'd pay the same for an UNC regardless of raw or certified. It just isn't an issue for me, unless it's super grade-dependent (in which case, I'm probably not a buyer anyhow).

James

1. I have found the luster to be as good as most others in the series, but not in the category of issues like the '26 D.

2. Weakness of strike will certainly affect the grade, but because it is so usual for the it is possible to find an MS65 coin that is not well struck.

3. Toning won't usually affect the value, unless the buyer is after a white coin.

4. Depends on the grade....$250 or so for a MS62/63.

Here is one from my collection, and I will humbly submit that you can't find a better example with the combination of luster and strike that this one has...

1164538-1921obvms65.jpg.fd73124c5a22c0cb96bb5e2a9b08a254.jpg

Why does it seem like so many 1921 Peace Dollars look like they were run over with a nail truck, and are nicked to hell and so weakly struck. After making my purchase today, I thought upon closer examination that mine was a bit more beat up then I would think for about an MS 63, but it seems on par, for even some 64''s I like my coin smile.gif and I got a good deal on it

yes I know.. I will shot some images worth posting... the first ones I shot look like a 3rd grader took them. I will take some and post the coin....

X pipe. Wow! Nice coin. Congrats on that one. Anyhow here is a shot of my coin. The image does really do this coin justice. In hand this coin is rather pleasing with nice luster. Went I went to purchase it today it passed all my criteria, $ ammount, eye appeal to me, and I just like the coin overall. As for the grade I put it at MS 62, but it could be a bit higher maybe 63? Debate away.

1921.jpg

Bruce - I really like that coin! I'd give it a rinse in acetone followed by some canned air to dry it, but I think it will retain most of its color. I'd love to stuff that one in my album - good find!

Hoot

There appear to be two “groups” of 1921 Peace dollars. During the first day or two of production (Dec 28, 29) the dies were changed frequently and many of the coins show full to nearly full detail. (The design does not have hair-strand detail – as Jim Fraser said it’s more a “massing of the hair.”) Two of the coins out of 50 that deFrancisci got from the first day’s production are in the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The undamaged side of both shows exceptional detail and clarity of design, yet they are clearly circulation strikes. Quite a few well struck pieces turn up in AU-55, AU-58 or low MS condition and may have originated with the first batches of dollars distributed in New York and other cities. These were sold to the curious, who put them in their pockets for a day or two before transferring them to the family cigar box of curios. I have seen a few specimens with a pedigree going back to the first release date, and they are uniformly superior coins.

After the first couple of days, engraver Morgan said they got tired of replacing the dies and let presses run with the same dies for longer. I suspect these are the more commonly encountered pieces with softer strikes and moderate to extreme weakness at the high points of obverse and reverse (hair at center of bust and center of eagle).

It would be nice to see a better photo of Xpipe's coin!

BTW - many of the 1921s were shifted from vault to vault from 1922 to at least the mid-1930s. In 1935 there were several hundred thousand still sitting in a Philadelphia Mint vault.

There's an extensive section on Peace dollar design and initial production in "RAC-1916-1921."

James if you could see this coin in hand I really think you would like the surfaces. RWB, thanks for the great information! Thanks for the comments