• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this trime?

29 posts in this topic

No offense taken. They're not my images; I'm considering buying the coin myself.

Since your considering buying it, do you think you can make a proper assessment with the image shown?

No offense taken. They're not my images; I'm considering buying the coin myself.

Since your considering buying it, do you think you can make a proper assessment with the image shown?

I'm sure you could judge the originality and grade from this image in moderation.

BTW,this trime looks AU to me.Hard to tell if it's original and there is some questionable gunk on the obverse but it doesn't jump out to me as being cleaned.If the seller offers a return privilege I'd probably go for it.

We'll see what other members have to say.

Hayden

It's a surprisingly well-struck little coin. Based on these images, I like it a lot. The real market has shown that there's little difference in value between AU and low-grade UNC IIIsilvers, so I think your risk is minimal in purchasing this coin.

James

I can't tell if there is any wear on the coin from that small image. The strike looks very good, but most type three's are struck up well. Unfortunately, my 1860 is one of the exceptions. frown.gif

I can't really tell enough about the surfaces to tell if it's been cleaned or what the grade is. It doesn't take many tiny marks to bring the grade down on these tiny coins. I believe if you had the number and size of marks on an MS63 trime and put them on a Morgan you would have an MS67 coin.

Also, these coins are very thin and prone to bending. When buying raw trimes (and sometimes even certified ones) you need to be careful to make sure you aren't buying a bent coin.

Bottom line for me is I wouldn't pay more than an AU price and make sure there is a return privilege if buying from those pictures.

My opinion on this piece is that, based on what may be rub on the reverse "C" and lack of detail on the right hand star and shield devices, that this may be an AU coin. However, I can not be certain from the photo.

I like it. It's better than the only one that I own. crazy.gif

My opinion...Obverse and reverse appear well struck, but on the obverse around the "States Of America" there is a marking or coloration that could be rub or something left from a cleaning. The pictures don't do it justice because the coin doesn't appear to have any luster to it which makes it appear to have been cleaned while it may not have been. Pictures are so hard to tell sometimes. The reverse side looking at the 4 and 5 o'clock star, they appear to be worn and somewhat flattened in relation to the other stars. Because of this, if you flipped the coin this would put the wear in the same area as the area of the "States Of America" suspicious area, so I would say that you definately have wear on that side of the coin making it an AU grade. I also believe I see a few very small rim dings on the reverse side on the top. If it is genuine, I might offer $75 for it. Like I said though, just my opinion.

Greg

My recommendation is to only buy PCGS/NGC/ICG/ANACS trimes. There are way too many problem trimes out there. Save yourself the hassle.

Jazzy said:

Who are you buying this coin from, and at what price?

And why do you want a trime?

I don't yet have a trime in my collection and I rather like this particular coin. When it sells, I'll let y'all know the price. Unfortunately at this point in my life I'm forced to be rather frugal in my bidding, so I'm pessimistic as to my chances of actually acquiring it, but I'll make a go. From past bidding experiences, it would appear that I have a good eye for coins (i.e. they always end up going for way more than I could pay :-)

I suppose now that I've posted it here, someone off this board will drop a bundle on it and get it right out from under me, with my luck 893naughty-thumb.gif

I suppose now that I've posted it here, someone off this board will drop a bundle on it and get it right out from under me, with my luck 893naughty-thumb.gif

That's only happened once, as far as i know. I did it, cpm9ball forgave me for it, and EZ_E hates me for it. Others kept their opinions to themselves, but alas, the censure is self-evident. sorry.gif

Hoot

Jazzy said:

Who are you buying this coin from, and at what price?

And why do you want a trime?

I don't yet have a trime in my collection and I rather like this particular coin. When it sells, I'll let y'all know the price. Unfortunately at this point in my life I'm forced to be rather frugal in my bidding, so I'm pessimistic as to my chances of actually acquiring it, but I'll make a go. From past bidding experiences, it would appear that I have a good eye for coins (i.e. they always end up going for way more than I could pay :-)

I didn't mean for my questions to sound curt. The reason I asked about your reasons for buying the piece is that most collectors acquire a trime as part of a type set. In fact, I don't personally know anyone who collects a date set of trimes.

Later date trimes, like this one, are usually collected as part of a date set, or as part of a more advanced type set that includes the three major varieties of trimes. Collectors looking for one type piece generally gravitate toward years that had higher mintage numbers ie., 1852, 1853, 1856, 1857... You get more bang for your buck that way.

Trimes are notorious for taking on this kind of unattractive battleship gray color. They can also get very spotty. This 1860 appears to be original, but it's very difficult to tell from pics, not to mention scans - a scan will totally wash out any mint luster the coin might have.

Be careful not to overpay for this coin. Whatever you end up paying for it, I'll venture to guess that you could buy a more eye-pleasing example for the same amount of money in one of the more common dates.

I eventually gave up looking for a raw trime that I liked and bought one slabbed by PCGS for my US type set.

Well, I am trying to collect a date set of trimes, though my budget keeps getting in the way. Check out my sig line. It's rather meager at the moment but I keep my eye open.

I started by buying one of each type, which was the way I wanted to do my type set. But I found myself drawn to these tiny coins and had to get more. I will probably never complete a set, but that won't keep me from working on it.

If you want a single coin in a type set I would recomend a type 3. The type 1's (1851-1853) are common enough and readily available, but finding a nicely struck example is a challenge. I wouldn't call any of the type 2's common and they get a bit more pricy in high grade. They are also typically poorly struck. Of the type 3's 1861 is probably the most common and seems to almost always be well struck. Anything after 1862 is quite scarce and will cost a good bit more, if you can find one you like.

That 1860 seems to be well struck though there is a bit of weakness on the stars on the lower right. I highly doubt it is an MS65 as claimed, but I really can't tell from those pictures. It's most likely an AU58 and may have been messed with, though I can't tell that either.

You won't get any competition from me, but I am going to watch that auction.

Oh, I weep, for I wanted this coin. Alas, I am too poor to buy it (without my darling wife kicking my butt).

Anyway, the coin's currently around $120, and there are three hours left on the auction. I hope someone gives it a nice home.

Oh, my sweet trime...

(If anyone feels really sorry for me, you could buy it and have it shipped to my address) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Holy cow, that auction sure shot up over the last three hours! The little beauty went from $120 to $316 at the end!

If there's anything that my recent experimentation on eBay has shown me, it's that a lot of the coins I like when they're initially offered are going for really high prices. I hope that means I've got a decent eye.

I was watching that and a couple of his other raw coins. All I can say is, someone put a lot of faith in his grade and his small pictures. The coins were going at prices about one point below his assigned grade. In this case, I wouldn't have bid more than AU money for his "MS65" coin.

Pendragon, check your PM.

Everyone, I would like to take this opportunity to recognize Jazzy for being a great asset to the collecting community and to this board. The mystery PM he was referring to above was an offer by him to send me a small group of coins as a sort of 'welcome back to the hobby' gift. Jazzy was kind enough to send me a very interesting assortment of coins, including a very attractive large cent, my first error coin (a 2c piece with a 45 degree die rotation), and a great 1853 variety 1 trime (my first) amongst several other great coins.

Jazzy's letter to me, enclosed with the coins, should serve as an example to all collectors: "They are good, honest coins, never cleaned. I hope they find a place in your collection, and I hope they encourage your interest in the numismatic sciences."

Encouraging and supporting beginning (and beginning again) collectors is one of the most important things an experienced collector can do for this hobby of ours. I know that in years to come, I intend to honor Jazzy's example and do the same thing for other beginning collectors that I will come in contact with. And that, I think, is what this hobby is really all about: passing history and experience down from person to person.

Jazzy: I wish more collectors would be like you!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

As I continually say, "The NGC coins boards is a microcosm of the real world which has an aggregate of some of the finest and most generous people that one can imagine!"

Kryptonite Comics, Shane, just sent me the last articles from Coin World of the Modern Commemorative Series. I had been saving them for over a year but just lacked the last ones when they goofed and failed to renew my subscription. I just anticipated the articles but he sent me a half dozen entire issues with a stiff mailing premium and wanted nothing in return. What an incredibly generous gesture! But, in payment, I am now promising him a night on the town with Michael in drag. 893whatthe.gif Well, maybe not. tongue.gif

p.s. I still need the article from the Jan 21st issue of Coin World on the modern commems if anyone has it available. Thank you in advance if you can supply this last article I need in the series. thumbsup2.gif

I have actually bound the articles together with needle and thread which makes an excellent reference resource.

That's only happened once, as far as i know. I did it, cpm9ball forgave me for it, and EZ_E hates me for it. Others kept their opinions to themselves, but alas, the censure is self-evident. sorry.gif

Hoot

Hoot, I never forgave you!

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

There was nothing to forgive and the best man won.

Chris

p.s. I still need the article from the Jan 21st issue of Coin World on the modern commems if anyone has it available.

There isn't a Jan 21 issue, so which is it? Jan 16 or Jan 23? I can photocopy it for you, but I'm not giving up any of my back issues. They're great for making papier mache dolls and sticking pins in them.

devil.gifC devil.gifH devil.gifR devil.gifI devil.gifS devil.gif