• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just pulled the trigger on an amazing Fugio Restrike!!!!

8 posts in this topic

Saw this PCGS MS63 restrike on Coin Rarities website at the beginning of the month and I knew the first time I laid eyes on it that I had to own it. I made arrangements this weekend to acquire the piece and it is in route to me as of today 893applaud-thumb.gif

Honestly in looking at all of the restrike sales via Heritage over the last 3 or 4 years and I could not find a more eye appealing example with plenty of red left on the coin........ cloud9.gif I always wanted to own a fugio and even though this isn't an actual federal piece.....it was priced at about a 1/3 of what a non restrike would have run me....and it was within my price range so I went for it. makepoint.gif

If anyone else owns a Fugio or a restrike...please post it here thumbsup2.gif

13-1.jpg

13r-1.jpg

Congratulations, Shane! I must say, though, that it wigs me out when you post a coin without colorful toning. I had to make some adjustments to lower the shock level.

Edited to Ask: Is this a true restrike, or struck for dies made for reproductions? When?

1157956-fugio1.jpg

It is considered by all to be a New Haven restrike but it really isn't technically a restrike and most feel it wasn't necessarily struck in New Haven but the name has stuck with it. New dies were created copying the design from the original coin but the original dies were not used to stike this coin in anyway. It's not an exact duplicate and most expert believe the new dies were created in the 1860's and then the coins were stuck at that time.

Hey if you can't afford a nice MS63 in the $5000 plus range then this coins is a bargain at a 1/3 of the price. I don't think there are a lot of them around either as PCGS lists a total of 80 graded pieces....not sure how many NGC have graded. I just think the overall look of this piece is amazing so for me...it was an easy decision.

You know, this is one of those cases where what is essentially a non-contemporary counterfeit has gained widespread numismatic acceptance and has become a desireable token. I agree that they are way cool. thumbsup2.gif

That's a stunning piece. Although I've never purchased anything from them, Coin Rarities looks like they carry great copper, the way it should look like.

Michael

I've owned a couple of these (long since sold), and you can still occasionally find them with bright red color. By far, most of them are not certified, because they are held by early copper collectors. It's a fantastic coin to own, and I think yours is just fabulous. Congratulations!

James