• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone help me out?

33 posts in this topic

This 1888 Morgan has a die clash on the reverse that is doubled. How can I take a photo that will show the doubling? I'm using the Canon Powershot Pro1, and this photo was taken using the super macro mode. Billy, I know that you are very good at extreme enlargements. Do you have any suggestions?

1154319-IMG_0243.JPG

Chris

1154319-IMG_0243.JPG.e300031534b6b06b338555de34a5d34b.JPG

Chris, take the photo at high resolution in super macro mode. Crop the desired area from the original, hi res photo and then resize only if necessary.

Look at page #191 in the user's manual and it tells of the different resolution options and compression ratios.

Resolution options are:

1)Large (L)

2)M1, M2, M3 for medium ranges

3)Small (S)

And the compression ratios are:

1)Superfine

2)Fine

3)Normal

The large, superfine option will be a huge file but you might as well start there because you can always reduce the file from there.

To change these settings check out page #58.

Press the function button.

Use the up/down arrow to select which resolution setting and compression ratio that you want. The resolution is depicted as above but the compression has specific icons to represent which setting it is. Check out the referenced pages to see which they are.

Take the photo. Upload the image. Crop what you want. View the actual image size and decide if that shows the details you want. Reduce the size if needed or save as "good" quality over best in the photoshop software included with the camera.

thumbsup2.gif

Hi Chris -- I don't know anything about your camera, but I would guess that there is a menu that will allow you to select from at least three levels of resolution. The higher resolution (generally called "fine") packs in a heck of a lot more data so that a picture of the coin is extremely large in "actual pixels." My photos shot at high resolution can be 3 gigabytes (the photo that you posted is only about 0.14 gigabytes). You can crop the larger photo; and, as Victor said, change the image size as necessary to get under the posting limits.

Edited to Add: Victor obviously knows your camera better than I do! crazy.gif

Hi Billy

What the heck, Chris is used to answering to most anything but they're usually four-lettered words instead of five like "Billy" is. crazy.gif

Don't worry about it, Lou. Just consider the source. Thanks guys, but I'll have to continue this later. My battery started saying, "Feed me! Feed me!"

Chris

Don't worry about it, Lou. Just consider the source. Thanks guys, but I'll have to continue this later. My battery started saying, "Feed me! Feed me!"

Chris

Dang -- I'm still waiting to see them close-ups. Must take a long time to charge em up.

Chris

Dang -- I'm still waiting to see them close-ups. Must take a long time to charge em up.

He probably decided to charge himself up as well.Let's see here:

1.nap

2.food

3.pool table.

He should be back in a few hours 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't get it. Chris, try tweeking back the settings to midrange and see if that does anything. This is taken with midranged settings:

1155572-CoinImage-1899278-016-r.jpg

1155572-CoinImage-1899278-016-r.jpg.f288c068ab37fed91290c9097fe01c49.jpg

1155593-IMG_0264.JPG

Let's see if this will do it. For some reason it wouldn't focus when I used the OTT lights. So, I turned them off and used just the fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling fan. I wanted to post the picture at 600x600 but it was too large to post, so I had to go back and resize to 450x450. I still don't think the doubling can be seen too well.

Chris

1155593-IMG_0264.JPG.54ead8200b3eb95364fb0d08b62cb8ed.JPG

1155593-IMG_0264.JPG

Let's see if this will do it. For some reason it wouldn't focus when I used the OTT lights. So, I turned them off and used just the fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling fan. I wanted to post the picture at 600x600 but it was too large to post, so I had to go back and resize to 450x450. I still don't think the doubling can be seen too well.

Chris

Yes -- we have a die clash!!!! Alright Chris -- looking good. Victor we have victory. Way to go guys...

1155605-IMG_0263.JPG

There is one other mark that has me curious. I don't know if it is a clash, strike-through or what. It's just below the "n G" of IGWT and it appears to be raised.

Chris

1155605-IMG_0263.JPG.500555ea80a9a3eea048f0452411bba8.JPG

1155593-IMG_0264.JPG

Chris

Yes -- we have a die clash!!!! Alright Chris -- looking good. Victor we have victory. Way to go guys...

Billy, the neat thing is that the clash is doubled on the upper and left sides.

1155605-IMG_0263.JPG

There is one other mark that has me curious. I don't know if it is a clash, strike-through or what. It's just below the "n G" of IGWT and it appears to be raised.

Chris

Wouldn't that be part of the clash? I'm not sure and havn't checked with Morgans for clash marks. OK Morgan guys -- chime in.

1155605-IMG_0263.JPG

Chris

Wouldn't that be part of the clash? I'm not sure and havn't checked with Morgans for clash marks. OK Morgan guys -- chime in.

The only problem with it, Billy, is that I can't find anything on the obverse that corresponds to that shape.

I see the clash,but no doubling? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's the best I could do, Hayden, but it is visible with a loupe. I stand corrected, though. I just gave it another look and there is doubling on all three sides.

1155605-IMG_0263.JPG

Chris

The only problem with it, Billy, is that I can't find anything on the obverse that corresponds to that shape.

die damage?

maybe the "1" in the date?

die damage?

It could be that something got between the dies at the time of the clash, but it couldn't have been the date because it doesn't match. I'll just have to look for other 1888's that have the same markings.

1155605-IMG_0263.JPG

Chris

die damage?

OMG!!! Could this be the beginnings of a new VAM??? 893whatthe.gif

If it is, it will just have to take its place in line. I have several that I can't find in any of the VAM reference material, but I've procrastinated and never sent them to Leroy for confirmation.

If it is, it will just have to take its place in line. I have several that I can't find in any of the VAM reference material, but I've procrastinated and never sent them to Leroy for confirmation.

Honestly Chris,I've seen a number of Morgans with this reverse die clash. I was under the impression that this was very common?