• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC coins are the toughest to photograph...

36 posts in this topic

...so here's a challenge.

Show me an NGC coin photo that shows at least part of the label, for accuracies sake. The true color of the label and insert is what makes this a challenge - no cutting the coins out of the slab. Here's two just to start it off.

An IH proof:

1907NGCPR67BNslabs.jpg

And an awesome Rick Kay J-1612 PF66RD Cam pattern:

J16121879NGCPF66RDCAMslab.jpg

J16121879NGCPF66RDCAMslab3.jpg

In an earlier post I mentioned the light diffusing cone I constructed from a sheet of translucent plastic. The "trick" is to prevent the light from DIRECTLY illuminating the item(s) to be photographed. The translucent plastic allows the light but the light will not directly shine on the object; be it a coin, plastic holder, etc. I suppose one could build a box with the sides made of similar plastic instead of glass, have the light OUTSIDE the box shining INTO the box, should work.

Here's a coin that both you and I have owned, shylock, and this image was taken without any post-image acquisition manipulation. However, I did not include the slab certificate in the image because my lens was so close,

B1891N65BN.jpg

Thanks for the kind words about the coin. What appear to be hairlines on the piece are actually scratches in the soft NGC slab. The coin itself has a grade limiting hit on the cheek, but otherwise is very clean. This coin has traded places in mine and shylock's collections a few times over the last five years but I think it has settled into its longterm home wtih me. smile.gif

• Administrator
In an earlier post I mentioned the light diffusing cone I constructed from a sheet of translucent plastic. The "trick" is to prevent the light from DIRECTLY illuminating the item(s) to be photographed. The translucent plastic allows the light but the light will not directly shine on the object; be it a coin, plastic holder, etc. I suppose one could build a box with the sides made of similar plastic instead of glass, have the light OUTSIDE the box shining INTO the box, should work.

I read something somewhere about a guy cutting the top off of a plastic gallon-milk-jug, and putting the coins in that, while positioning the lights outside of it to, just as you say, diffuse the light.

It's the white slab that gives me headaches trying to photo. I wish they'd go to a clear or black slab. I really think it would do NGC good since most of the auction houses don't take the time to photo their coins correctly. Given this lack of effort by most I'd think over the long haul NGC coins would look better even with poor photography. Just check out Heritages crappy photos. IMO, the PCGS coins always look better...in general.

jom

Agreed! Both about the wonderful eye-appeal of all coins shown and how tough it is to get the coin and the tag imaged together.

1145796-1986SOL.jpg

1145796-1986SOL.jpg.ce5633b939b751267fa8706730ff0b80.jpg

Interesting but I'm not sold on the method since I wasn't too impressed with any of the photos. They seemed to lack vibrancy. confused-smiley-013.gif I think that I may give the method a shot, however.

I agree. I was going to mention something along that order when I posted the info. However it should help in understanding defused light.

Jom is correct that NGC coins are often poorly imaged by auction houses. Heritage's archives of NGC RD Indian cents is one dark pic after another, in most cases they don't bother/have the time to improve thier images.

Yet, I love the look of red copper or toned silver in NGC slabs. The white insert works in person.

And I don't care for "trick" shots of coins, taken through the infamous "Cloud Dome" or the less expensive cut out milk carton. I've tried them all and have come to the conclusion the best coin images are taken with a camera, a coin, and two or three lights. No contraptions please, they just don't work.

• Administrator

Interestingly, diffused light is actually best at capturing texture, and black and white photography emphasizes texture as well. The two are often used together.

I wonder what value there is in black and white shots of coins with a diffuser, if any.

Ansel Adams became very famous for his black & white photography.

Which is nice, but has nothing to do with coin photography.

I like this site but sometimes I wonder about you guys...

Let's pretend we're involved in a thread about coin photography. Ansel Adams wouldn't help us much. So lets get it in course...

Diffused lighting has never worked for me. But I'm open to new ideas. Show me a full slab pic with diffused lighting.

Let's pretend we can all express our thoughts and points of view without fear of rebuke.

I think I'll take a stroll in the neighborhood.

Chris

Let's pretend we're involved in a thread about coin photography. Ansel Adams wouldn't help us much. So lets get it in course...

You've never seen his picture "Shield Above Yosemite"? confused-smiley-013.gif

1146899-anseladams.jpg

You've never seen his picture "Shield Above Yosemite"? confused-smiley-013.gif

1146899-anseladams.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I like this site but sometimes I wonder about you guys...

Yeah, I wonder about me too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Very nice coins. Agree that it's tough to image coins in NGC slabs. But I'm always up for a challenge and just got to keep trying to get that "Perfect" picture. Still haven't accomplished perfect yet.

1857halfobv.jpg

1857halfrev.jpg

Img15348.jpg

Img15349.jpg

That is a gorgeous Texas commem. If not for the scratches on the slab then the photo would be near perfect! Nice luster and colors!! Nice details on the half, too.