• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950 D Jefferson

25 posts in this topic

I got this last year from Spy88 who kind of retired from coins. Too bad, he was/is a cool guy.

1140253-1950DJeffersonObverse1.jpg.f0c4d397e86ea9ef1201a73f1c60a38d.jpg

Thanks, Bruce. These pics came out decent although I failed to capture the 9:00 rainbow on the obverse.

1140253-1950DJeffersonObverse1.jpg1140255-1950DJeffersonReverse1.jpg

PCGS MS66 FS

• So, was this envelope toned?

• Does the registry give exta points for Full Steps?

[*]Does the registry give exta points for Full Steps?

and so the High Grade Registry Syndrome begins. Next he'll be dipping his toners to get an upgrade sorry.gif

if the coin cam from Spy88 ... I am 100% positive it is FS... he was an abid collector of full step jeffersons

Are you taking ESL from Michael, or was it just a few nightcaps?

• So, was this envelope toned?

• Does the registry give exta points for Full Steps?

No, album toned. Looks like W-R or Dansco album toning. '50-D nickels can take on some great colors - like yours! yay.gif

Yes, extra points are given for FS. All PCGS holdered coins that are FS are considered 5FS. Only NGC (and ANACS) give a 6FS attribution, and they get extra points in the registry. BFD, right? Finding high grade, EDS, fetching, and well struck Jeffs is the real challenge. BTW, 6FS '50-Ds are quite uncommon.

Hoot

BTW, Victor, there are also a lot of roll toned 50-Ds out there. Typically, their toning is less regular and can take on some interesting patterns. Here's my 50-D that I believe is roll toned (although I can't prove it, it looks like pieces I've seen taken out of original rolls).

1140776-1950-DJeff5cMS65fsPCGSo.jpg

Hoot

1140776-1950-DJeff5cMS65fsPCGSo.jpg.0c39189dbd0211ed2be89be988b600e7.jpg

I got this last year from Spy88 who kind of retired from coins. Too bad, he was/is a cool guy.

Nice colors! This particular date was one of the last that I learned about it's strike problems. When you compare it to it's sister, the strike of the 1950-P, you'll begin to wonder what happen with to all the strikes of the coins surrounding this date.

I've seen EDS strikes of the 1949, 1951PDS but not the 50-D.

Leo

Just being nosey but how much did it cost?

Teletrade Link

Geez! I just entered this in yesterday and I just check and it warranted a mere 12 points in the registry set?!

foreheadslap.gif

How idiotic! A common, ho-hum modern proof dime warrants 81 points but this historic, high grade coin is 12 points? It doesn't make any damn sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

But, then again, why do I really care? I could have care less 5 days ago.

I think that it is an evil NGC plot where they have influenced ours minds via the water sources and the hypnotic humming of the powerlines. "Participate, participate, participate. Be cool. Be #1. Registy, registry, registry....." Or, then again, maybe I'm just paranoid?? tongue.gif

Just being nosey but how much did it cost?

Teletrade Link

Geez! I just entered this in yesterday and I just check and it warranted a mere 12 points in the registry set?!

foreheadslap.gif

How idiotic! A common, ho-hum modern proof dime warrants 81 points but this historic, high grade coin is 12 points? It doesn't make any damn sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

But, then again, why do I really care? I could have care less 5 days ago.

I think that it is an evil NGC plot where they have influenced ours minds via the water sources and the hypnotic humming of the powerlines. "Participate, participate, participate. Be cool. Be #1. Registy, registry, registry....." Or, then again, maybe I'm just paranoid?? tongue.gif

What's worst is the fact that a fully struck coin like the one Hoot posted will get the same amount of points for a coin with a weak strike. The discerning eye will change how these coins are collected and valued over the next 5 years.

Leo