• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, you wanna collect Buffalo Nickels? (Part 2)

14 posts in this topic

A few more thoughts about the Series, what I have learned over the years.

1) 1913-S Type I is the worst struck out of the three mints that produced Buffs.

Problems in the mound area, mintmark, and Bison detail on the reverse, along with indestinct date detail on the obverse near and including the date are common.

When you select yours, be aware of these faults.

2) 1914-D is struck softly in the center details on both the obverse and reverse. Decent looking coins are the rule........but not hammered ones. Anything above 63 in mint state is a good buy.

3) Finding a top-notch 1917-S in any grade VF or above is a definite CHALLENGE. 1917-D is not far behind, also. The horn on the Buff for this date and mint just seems to fade into the badly struck head detail, leaving most to be market-graded

4) For some reason, 1918-P has real problems with strike. For a Philly coin, this is an abberation. The central detail on the obverse, the Indians Knot, hair, and braid are indestinct. Look for one with bold central details. They can be found.

5) Good luck finding ANY 1920-D that looks decent in VF or above. If you do, buy it!. This date and mint are among the most scarce coins in higher grade in the entire Buff series.

6) 1921-S in fine is becoming RARE. I can't believe the recent price jump. If you can find one, buy it.

OK.........more to come later........comments appreciated.

Pete

Another great post, Pete. Adding to your weakly struck Philly issues: 1920, 1928 (a lot of gems, but few well struck), 1929, 1930, 1931, and even 1934 (but to a lesser degree). Finding nice looking (XF and above) Denver nickels from 1918 through 1928 is a challenge.

Hoot

I remember that I got a 1914 D in Fine for a quarter that I picked out of a mess of them in the seventies. That was cool! cool.gif

Terrific information and I have a question for you; what do you think of the 1918-D in VF or better? It seems to me that this coin simply does not exist. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Terrific information and I have a question for you; what do you think of the 1918-D in VF or better? It seems to me that this coin simply does not exist. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rare coin. It exists, but most are fugly. Finding a nice XF/AU specimen is damn near impossible.

Hoot

Well as you folks can see by my post count,you've got

a cherry here.

I'll be sixty four my next birthday and its been about fourty five years

since I collected coins,MY GOSH WHAT HAS HAPPENED?????

Who can afford to collect anymore? Who are all these ABCs and

NGCs etc etc?I've never seen so many grades before in my life

and the prices are just nuts.

I collected Buffs,Walkers,Morgans and half dollar commems. All

my sets were pretty much complete in AU to BU Gems. If only

I had not got between a rock and a hard place when the military

lost my pay records,i'd be rich.

I've still got my first day covers and commemorative unc stamp

collection,if they've gone up like coins have, just maybe, I can

start a penny set. What do ya think?

Oh by the way,there sure is some good readin round abouts

here.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome.

Yep neighbors for sure,Springfield here.

I didn't mean to change the subject but the subject drew me here

in the first place. If my post needs to be moved or deleted, have

at it. Sorry

Buffalos are my passion,i've even got a shoulder mount buff

head on the wall.

....Tony....

What I don't understand is with so many rotten things to say about the Buffalo Nickel, why bother to collect them. I myself collect Indian Head Nickels but I did notice there was a Buffalo on the reverse. Just a joke.

HAHA Just Carl...............

Those Buffs are just sooooo darn interesting.

The series is great!

1BigMo.........Welcome to this cauldron.........

Pete

Tony,

I grew up in Waynesville / Fort Leonard Wood area, and we used to trek on over to Springfield frequently. I always loved going to Bass Pro Shop, and of course, my Mom couldn't stay out of Battlefield Mall.

Glad to meet a fellow Ozarkian here on the boards!

BuffaloPete, sorry to untrack your thread - I promise not to do any more damage! smile.gif

James

Pete , Thank-You very much for the perspectives . I got started partly due to Buffs back in the mid '70's due to a Boy Scout coin collecting merit badge. I have all raw Indian head 5 cents , with only four in NGC holders due to a recent submission to authenticate D/D and D/S 38's . Unfortunatley they both came back as plain 38 D's although with a 10x one can see the mint marks over mint marks.

I have known that some years were struck better than others(even heard about dies not being annealed(?sp) properly) and that sometimes the TPGs take that into consideration when they market grade coins of this series , but I read that this information is written somewhere in a book for collectors of this series. Do you have a particular reference that you like and feel follows the trends you have learned that you would recommend ? I have books on other coins , but never thought about getting one for Buffs as I've been around them for long enough to think I knew them well enough , but now see a need for a different perspective , something along the lines of how you are following them. Thanks for any info.

PS , I'm away a lot and may not be able to reply back until later in the week , but want to thank you for any ideas in advance. -John