• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conversation Piece....

18 posts in this topic

I must say in all my days of coin collecting and such I always seem to pick up a few pieces just to have. Well today is no exception.. While the numisatic value may not be super high, I still found this piece very cool and a great conversation piece. I picked up a set while out looking called. "America's Rarest Coins" Included in the set are the coins that follow...

1776 Continental Currency

1783 Nova Constelatio

1787 Gold "Brasher" Doubloon EB on Wing

1792 Birch Cent

1792 Disme

1794 Flowing Hair Dollar

1798 Half Eagle Small Eagle

1804 Byst Silver Dollar

1822 Capped Bust 5 Dollar

1836 Gobrecht Dollar C. Gobrecht F. in Field above the Date

1849 20 Dollar Liberty Head Double Eagle

1866 Seated Quarter

1870 S 3 Dollar Gold

1873 CC Seated Dime

1873 S Seated Dollar

1879 4 Dollar Stella Coiled Hair

1885 Trade Dollar

1893 S Morgan Dollar

1894 S Barber Dime

1907 Ultra High Relief 20 Dollar Saint Gaudens

1913 Liberty "V" Nickel

1933 10 Dollar Indian

1933 20 Dollar Saint Gaudens

1964 Peace Dollar

That comes to a total of 24 coins displayed nicely in a wooden box. Each coin is just over 2 onces of Silver, with the gold coins plated as such. All of the coins have nice deep mirrors, and are made like proofs. Only one has a spot on it, but it is a rather neat set to have. They made the price right for me, so they had themselves a sale. I figured many of these coins I may never see a real one in hand, so why not get some nice replicas. Please feel free to comment away. Enjoy! Please go easy on the pics, as I know some are a bit outta focus.

arc.jpg

arc5.jpg

arc1.jpg

arc2.jpg

arc3.jpg

arc4.jpg

I think that is an extremely interesting exhibit!

You realize, of course, that some of our board members actually own some of these coins. Talking about Big Dawgs! thumbsup2.gif

It just staggers the imagination that Eliasberg actually owned each of these pieces. What an incredible accomplishment!

What monetary sum would it take today to rival such a feat? To collect one of each US issue?

And I thought that that English dude collecting each and every one of DC comics a remarkable feat!

Yes I know... I may to own one of these coins or many of them one day, but as for now I don't and I don't see it coming in the near future... He did pull off one hell of a feat, but even he did not own all the coins listed as some are only in the Smithsonian, but that does still not take away from what he did.

If I had my choice, I think that I would prefer the 1964 Peace Dollar. Don't know why since I'm not a big Peace Dollar fan but it has always appealed to me.

I thought that the only coin Eliasberg didn't have was the 1870 S half dime since it wasn't discovered until the seventies.

Don't know if had any Colonial pieces, though.

If I had my choice, I think that I would prefer the 1964 Peace Dollar. Don't know why since I'm not a big Peace Dollar fan but it has always appealed to me.

I thought that the only coin Eliasberg didn't have was the 1870 S half dime since it wasn't discovered until the seventies.

Don't know if had any Colonial pieces, though.

I with you EZ -- that Peace is mind-boggling. I still have the ole feeling that one is out there somewhere!!??!! Lurking in the dark world.

Although individually, these are just "common silver rounds", presented as a collection like that, they are cool!

James

I totally agree and would not have bought it any other way...

I am of course also drawn to the 1964 Peace dollar. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like they did a good job in creating a high relief, proof-like replica.

I have never understood why people would buy replica coins..............until now!

That is a beautiful set and I wouldnt hesistate to purchase the same. I really like the presentation. When assembled like that, this set reallly makes a statement....even knowing that its a mere collection of really fancy bullion doesnt detract from the awe of seeing these rarities as they existed leaving the mint. My first thought, and remaining fascination is the wonder of just how much it would cost to create the same collection, with authentic coins, in the same grade as the replicas. I am fairly confident I cant afford that!

Really nice set....I would have bought one as well

What it would cost? Well alone a 1913 Proof 66 Nickel went for huge money last year ... Over 5 million... and that leaves 23 coins left...

People always harp about "returning to Liberty" on our coinage design. E-gads! She was one horrific-looking woman on most of the early issues. In the words of Austin Powers, "She's a he, man!" The exception is on the 1794 to 1807 Miss Liberty. They are pleasing designs and wear extremely well. Then, once the wheels of beauracracy began churning after the fledgling days of the early mint, the powers that be desided that a change in design was warranted. Why, I ask? 100 yrs passed with mediocre designs (with some exceptions, of course) until Teddy Roosevelt initiated a radical change in coin design. The early twentieth century, in my opinion, is the golden age of US coin design. Then, with the introduction of presidential designs, our nation's coinage once again fell below par. There are very few exceptions in classic and modern commemorative designs but, on a whole, they are mediocre designs at best as well.

People always harp about "returning to Liberty" on our coinage design. E-gads! She was one horrific-looking woman on most of the early issues. In the words of Austin Powers, "She's a he, man!" The exception is on the 1794 to 1807 Miss Liberty. They are pleasing designs and wear extremely well. Then, once the wheels of beauracracy began churning after the fledgling days of the early mint, the powers that be desided that a change in design was warranted. Why, I ask? 100 yrs passed with mediocre designs (with some exceptions, of course) until Teddy Roosevelt initiated a radical change in coin design. The early twentieth century, in my opinion, is the golden age of US coin design. Then, with the introduction of presidential designs, our nation's coinage once again fell below par. There are very few exceptions in classic and modern commemorative designs but, on a whole, they are mediocre designs at best as well.

thumbsup2.gif