• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pocket change error help

5 posts in this topic

Who says you can't still find interesting coins in your pocket change. I've been throwing pennies in a big cup for a long time now and I figured it was time to go through them and do the quick look through for wheaties or variety/dates to watch for before they went to the rolls. I've attached a picture of the penny. I've never seen an error like it. Any explanations and anyone care to guess what it might be worth?

It's a 1964 and it's thin as a piece of paper almost. Less than half the thickness of a dime and still retains its shape well. I put another cent next to it for comparison. I know it's not in good shape, but being struck on such a thin planchet, I don't see how it could have gotten a good strike.

Greg

1127788-Error.jpg.2ac4c61b9663b4f7675a4d323759aac5.jpg

Looks like an acid treated cent, as has been quite common for the series. I kept one of these that I found in childhood - thin and small diameter. If definitely not, then it may be a wrong-planchet error. The Mint produced coins for other countries, but they typically have a fairly distinct color and texture difference.

Hoot

Oh well...It was exciting when I found it. In my 49 years of searching through coins, I've only found 3 error coins this being the third. I love error's. I just wish there was more common ground for collecting them. I don't like buying them because it's hard to judge value.

I did buy this one I attached though! I've had it for several years now. 90% off center with full date. I figure what are the odds of getting just the date!

So I'll hang on to my little pocket error found. Do you think it has any value or will it just be another good conversation piece?

Thanks,

Greg

1128155-90error.jpg.046d6e4c16360362df9e9a2ea147b8b6.jpg

I think the acid treated cent is a good conversation piece. You can make up all sorts of balony about it. smirk.gif

As for the off-center piece - WOW! That's quite unusual. thumbsup2.gif

Have you checked out the Error Coin Encyclopedia? I think ANA also carries it and you can usually find it on abebooks.com. Nice reference for evaluation of the relative rarity of various types of errors.

Hoot

Have you checked out the Error Coin Encyclopedia? I think ANA also carries it and you can usually find it on abebooks.com. Nice reference for evaluation of the relative rarity of various types of errors.

Thanks Hoot! I may have to pick this up, but I think my problem is more in reference to how to figure out how much to pay for something since I don't find many errors in my pocket change.

I guess it really doesn't matter anyway. It all comes down to what ever you are willing to pay. When I saw that 90% offcenter I had to have it. I ended up paying $20 for it and really I think I stole it in the long run, as I've never seen another one like it or close to it. After seeing that DD Panda, I'm envious thinking $300 wasn't a bad price for it either. I'm wishing it was in my collection. But alas we can all share the joy in each others picture here! thumbsup2.gif

Greg