• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 PR70 Kennedy .........

14 posts in this topic

Larry, NGC has never graded a 1964 Kennedy, Proof 70. PCGS has about 29, bit none with the Cameo or Deep Cameo designation.

It would be a long shot to expect that grade, no matter how nice the coin appears.

The 1964 also has an interesting die variety, the Accent Hair. If your coin has good detail, strong cameo contrasts and is the accent hair variety, you may have a greater value.

Ed

It is not a cameo coin, but it is absolutely beautiful. i talked to several people today at the Memphis Coin Show and everyone wanted to buy it. Most said the thought that it had a really good chance of grading PR70 with PCGS as well. I couldn't believe the attention it was getting. I didn't think I was going to get out of there with it.... Several dealers wanted to submit it for me. Some for NGC others for PCGS and others. I am convinced after today that I have a real chance of it making PR70 with PCGS.

All but two of my slabs are PCGS or NGC, and for the obvious reasons. THis was a coin that I bought 8 or so years ago, and the reason I bought it was because the coin was so dang perfect. I put it away, like always, and just ran across it again. I will definately be sending this one in.

The other coin that I have in the same type holder is a 67 MS67 Kennedy that is a beauty as well..... However..... It will not grade MS 67 from either PCGS or NGC so it will remain forever in its current slab. Until someday the girls trade it, sell it, or spend it. 27_laughing.gif

I can't wait to get it sent off.

As for the accent hair. It has great detail, but I do not know enough about Kennedys to know the difference.

Any body know why the cameos were so rare for these proofs???

I love Cameos, and that is the only thing I wish this coin had, it just isn't frosted at all. It is a mirror... all over.

As Ed said, a 70 grade is a longshot from one of the major TPG's, but I hope you get it.

I know "you know you know" about ACG, but just as a little reminder: they are worst, most despicable and unreliable and detestable of the third-world graders.

And their feet smell.

I have tried three times to post a pic of this coin...

I QUIT !!!

I got alot to learn with takin coin pics, scannin and all that jazz. It took me 34 pics to get one that I could see something besides the "shine" off the coin.

I am off to do a search on taking pics of coins.....

One more time....

The holders is beat to death, the nicks that you see on the cheek are in the holder, you can see the reflection repeat itself above as it bounces off the coin. There are several other horrible blems, BUT they are ONLY in the holder.

This scan does not do this coin justice, not even close. I just don't know how to photo or scan coins. Plain and simple.

1125272-64kennedy.jpg.e60f2ab7607e87a2f1608b4de5b7b9a7.jpg

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look like an Accented hair. You can tell from the I in Liberty if the inside corner is rounded on one edge.

Greg

Howdy, Larry. Glad that you enjoyed today's show! What did you pick up?

Oh, and I would place any stock in ACG's call on that grade. I had an ACG Dolly Madison commem that was supposed to be MS70 but it had a hair trapped in the holder that toned the coin. They are renowned for bad grading and garnish no premium on the open market.

I concur that based on the images it is not an accent hair variety. The truncation in the base of the I in Liberty is not present and the Eagles shield does not indicate the telltale weakness of strike and lack of definition.

If you can get it certified as PR 70 it becomes a $700 to 900 coin. Heritage has three sales of PCGS PR70's in the last two years for that range. If it is certified les than PR 70 it is worth less than the slabbing fees.

Good luck with your efforts, but you are definitely swimming upstream on this one.

Ed

If you send the coin to PCGS you cannot have it in the slab. The reason for this is not because the slab is ACG, rather, the reason is that PCGS has a stated policy that they will not crossover any TPG graded PF70 or MS70 coin because they need to see the coin without the holder obscuring any possible problems. So, if the coin goes to PCGS, and if you want the PF70 grade, you will have to crack it out first.

Tom raises a good point. NGC does not have a stated policy that it will not crossover 70 grades, in practice it does not. I submitted 10 ICG 70 graded coins to NGC, naively expecting them to crossover. I went 0-10!

I subsequently cracked out 5 of them and resubmitted them for grading, 3 of 5 came back with 70 grades.

So the moral is, crack it if you want a shot at the 70 grade.

Ed

Thanks alot you guys... really.

That just reiterates what I was told today about cracking it out. I have relatively nothing in this coin, I was able to go back through my journal and seen where I gave $27.00 for it some 8 years ago. Normally I wouldn't have bought a coin in this slab, but after lookin at it.... I couldn't help but "wish upon a star." After hearing all of the reviews, here and at the show, I will be sending it in. I know it is a tall feat, but I would rather have it in a PCGS slab along with the other monkeys I got laying around.

I appreciate the honest take on the coin.... for sure.