• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here is an 1881 S Morgan......

17 posts in this topic

Here we have an 1881 S Morgan that I would like you to Guess the grade on. It is slabbed by PCGS.. These shots are ok... but they do not show the luster on this coin... its rather pleasing.... Take a guess... You may be suprised...

1060822-1881s.jpg

1060822-1881s.jpg.4f8cb7bed04343a96a6895b5fc1e4ef4.jpg

I'd go with 66 also. It sure looks like a good strike, with no major distractions, but it is hard to tell for sure. None of my 64's or 65's look that good. (They are probably a little tougher on 81-S's though, since there are so many really nice ones out there!) thumbsup2.gif

since you ask... The grade on the holder is MS 62... It is an old PCGS Rattler.... I think it would upgrade about 2 points... the holder is a bit scratched which makes it hard to photo the coin.... I don't plan to send it in.... I like the old holder.... I was able to pick up this piece at the current MS 62 price... a few months back...

acclaim.gif

I've had tons of 1881S Morgans graded. Since this coin is the most frequently encountered Morgan with exceptional luster and quality of strike, this date must have really clean surfaces to get anything higher than an MS64. Even superb PL coins would come back only MS.

TRUTH

Lighting is a problem on this - but there is issues around the ear / Cheek near ear / below neck / scratch above 'we' on reverse / Cartwheel impossible to see /

possible scratch right side of wing / miscellaneous tic tacs on reverse / PCGS rated

MS62

This is a very old photo of this coin... I will pull it out soon and correctly photo it... Its a very nice coin if you ask me... the holder is a bit scratched up from the years... but still nice smile.gif It has a double cartwheel luster effect smile.gif