• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discount coins make for a good purchase once in a while...

12 posts in this topic

While out for X mas..... went to a coin shop.... Saw a nice seated half... It seemed cheap... ask to see the coin... and hence the price.... Still a nice coin I think.... I will add the front looks very original, the back has a scratch on it ... What do you think about the coin?

1044588-19590.jpg

1044588-19590.jpg.3a1d19bedb886fffe2b1aa1e1dce3e01.jpg

It looks to me like a scratch has been tooled off the upper left obverse (S4-5), but I could be imagining things. Overall, I like it! Plenty of detail, and being a common date (as I recall), I bet you got a great deal.

James

Deffinately has nice detail, but I would expect to see a little more luster on a coin with that much detail. Of course it's hard to tell from a photo, but it almost has that dull gray washed out look you see on high end circulated coins that have been dipped and then placed in a sunny window for a few months to tone down.

Jason

to me the detail is great and the scratch when turned just right is a tad more promouced.... but I would buy this coin everytime I saw it at the price I got it at... Photos are pretty accurate as to the coin....

coin is not tooled... it is just the image.... Also what would you (Meaning anybody) give in terms of value % wise of the coin relative to its grade.... ? Just wondering..... what you would offer...

Sorry, but I could not live with all the reverse scratches. frown.gif I don't know why other posters refer to A scratch, there are many. I agree the detail is AU.

whatever scratched the back.... made its mark... left a trail... it is all one scratch that curves around a bit.... this coin is not for everybody... but I like it....

Wouldn't those several scratches in the reverse field make it below AU-55? More like AU-50 don't you think?

To the left of shield and sitting rock in the field is an odd shaped triangle for toning. Is that there or just a picture shadow?

The details would still be AU 55 even with the scratch... The scratch does not change the wear on the coin.... just rather the price... what you see is due to the camera angle and lighting... front looks really nice....