• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting a Buffalo

27 posts in this topic

I've got these terrific looking 1913-D and 1916-S nickels, and was wondering if they should be submitted to NGC for slabbing, to be included in a Registry Set. I'm sure someone has an opinion, and I'd like to hear a few.

Sorry about only one image; I'm still learning the ins and outs of attaching files from my website. I'll have the -script edited soon

1044086-DSC_8746b.JPG.a8506afb182e5da4cc4998ccdb8c98ce.JPG

That is a very nice looking coin. Is the reverse as nice? Going by the one obverse image, I would say the coin should be submitted to NGC. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you acquire the coin and was it raw when you got it?

BTW, Welcome to the board!

John

The reverse is not as toned, but still beautiful. I will attach a few shots, or direct to my website. The coins were raw; I am building a Buffalo set from a local dealer. He has a great eye, and knows what I am looking for. Check this post again in a day or so, and I'll have uploaded to my website. Thanks for the look. Bob

I just posted more pictures at my website:

www.parkviewdental.us/albums

I take all the pictures with my Nikon D100 digital SLR, and the micro-nikkor lenses I use in my dental practice daily, along with a ring flash when necessary. I've taken thousands of coin shots, both for me and for my "dealer". He has framed a few and placed them on his business walls to show off some high end coins. Enjoy! Bob

Hi & welcome, Bob. hi.gif Nice coin, nice picture. Say . . . are all dentists on the boards named Bob? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

You know what Lou,I'm wondering that myself.Maybe its his evil twin? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

I tweaked your picture a little, Mr. Limke-the "pain giver", and I must say,that's one sweet Buffalo! thumbsup2.gif

1044284-bobs.jpg

Hayden

1044284-bobs.jpg.b472660d5a1f701da11561e4c5bbae4a.jpg

I tweaked your picture a little, Mr. Limke-the "pain giver", and I must say,that's one sweet Buffalo! thumbsup2.gif

1044284-bobs.jpg

Hayden

Most "tweekers" are bad news and are a scourge to society. I guess that you're an exception, Hayden. tongue.gif

I believe you should submit those coins for grading. My reaction to your images of these coins was simply "WHOA!". They are worth your time to get them certified.

Fantastic coins, and the little coins part of your website is excellent as well!

James

Everyone probably knows what I'm going to say. Unless you are going to sell these then it's a waste of money to slab. I'm an advocate of a free and open collecting... grin.gif

Then again if you really want to do the Registry thing then I suppose you have to slab....just take your time. No sense in giving your money to them right away.

Nice nickels though! Love the strike on the 16-S. 893whatthe.gif

jom

Everyone probably knows what I'm going to say. Unless you are going to sell these then it's a waste of money to slab.

jom

I disagree. A slab provide protection to both the coin and to the heirs.

Buy a cheap snap or coin-tain if you have to. There's no reason to spend $25 to have it graded until you want to sell.

Good point about your heirs but if you don't have your affairs organized your heirs will probably get screwed regardless of whether the coins are in a slab or not. blush.gif

jom

Buy a cheap snap or coin-tain if you have to. There's no reason to spend $25 to have it graded until you want to sell.

Good point about your heirs but if you don't have your affairs organized your heirs will probably get screwed regardless of whether the coins are in a slab or not. blush.gif

jom

But even if they do get screwed... maybe the coins will not be ruined for the next generation of collectors to enjoy....

Hi jom. Generally, I agree with the stance of NOT submitting coins, especially of this nature. I very much prefer to be able to enjoy classics unencumbered. However, I believe the original premise was to have them put in a registry set, which would require certification. Also, if the objective was just to sell and maximize return, certification would be the way to go.

Honestly, if I BOUGHT these Buffalos, and they were certified, I would crack them out for my personal set.

James

But even if they do get screwed... maybe the coins will not be ruined for the next generation of collectors to enjoy....

Well, slabs have been around, what, 20 years or so? Many coins got along just fine without slabs for many many years. Plus, the habit of many to break coins out to submit them again is possibly just as dangerous as putting a coin in a "slide" like holder.

James: I did mention both the Registry and if you are selling being the times when you want to slab. But even then...why not wait until you've aquired most of your coins before you register? You can start the reg set anyway since many of your coins will probably be slabbed when you buy them anyway.

To me putting off slabbing coins as long as possible is best....you can use the money instead to buy new coins. Even slabbed ones! grin.gif

jom

Well, slabs have been around, what, 20 years or so? Many coins got along just fine without slabs for many many years. Plus, the habit of many to break coins out to submit them again is possibly just as dangerous as putting a coin in a "slide" like holder.

James: I did mention both the Registry and if you are selling being the times when you want to slab. But even then...why not wait until you've aquired most of your coins before you register? You can start the reg set anyway since many of your coins will probably be slabbed when you buy them anyway.

To me putting off slabbing coins as long as possible is best....you can use the money instead to buy new coins. Even slabbed ones! grin.gif

jom

But then again many coins have been ruined..... the more coins we can keep out of people who are more likely to harm them from mishandling or cleaning them the better... even if it is a small percentage of the coins... its better than none

But then again many coins have been ruined..... the more coins we can keep out of people who are more likely to harm them from mishandling or cleaning them the better... even if it is a small percentage of the coins... its better than none

Well, I agree but a slab is not going to prevent me from cleaning or mishandling a coin anymore than an Air-Tite will. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

Think I like coins? Check out the left shoulder tattoo as my avatar. And thanks to all for the opinions. I really enjoy the album view for now,and as I get closer to completion, I think I'll pull the trigger on slabbing. Anyone got a nice three-legger they want to part with?????????? takeit.gif

Well, I agree but a slab is not going to prevent me from cleaning or mishandling a coin anymore than an Air-Tite will. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

The harder it is to get a coin out the less likely they will be to try and get it out... Airtites open rather easy...

I've got these terrific looking 1913-D and 1916-S nickels, and was wondering if they should be submitted to NGC for slabbing, to be included in a Registry Set. I'm sure someone has an opinion, and I'd like to hear a few.

Sorry about only one image; I'm still learning the ins and outs of attaching files from my website. I'll have the -script edited soon

I would say your 1916D is a doubled die.

Click the link for the CONECA website. You should be able to get much more information directly from this site than I can give you. I am by no means an expert at varieties, but I think your 1913-D is a machine doubled coin and not a doubled die. However, I may certainly be wrong.