• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinions needed on this Capped Bust Half Dollar...

8 posts in this topic

Hayden----Everyone knows that I hate pictures----any pictures----Having said that my guess is that it was dipped a long time ago and has retoned----Hence the slab it is in. Probably wear above the ear---looks like it----leaving us with an Au coin. Could I be wrong? Sure. But if I were buying an Au 50 price would be my top bid. Bob [supertooth]

Having said that my guess is that it was dipped a long time ago and has retoned----Hence the slab it is in. Probably wear above the ear---looks like it----leaving us with an Au coin.

Hayden I agree with most of the above statement (cleaned a long time ago and retoned). Naturally or artifically toned I am never good at telling from pictures. I would not call the coin AU however. I look at it as probably a 45. I am led to this conclusion by the string of hair just above the ear heading up to the eye being worn almost completely flat. I am usually conservative in my estimations and as such the coin may in fact be a 50 detail but I really don't think so.

It looks like a surprisingly nice coin to me. There are nice coins that accidentally (I assume) end up in PCI holders, and I've posted a couple on these boards myself. I think you've gotten lucky, and I like the coin at that grade, judging solely by the images.

James

Barring any hairlines that you might see in-hand, I think the coin is nice enough looking and would bid on it as if it were an AU55, perhaps 58, depending largely on the return policy.

Hoot

This is 1834 O-102 R1 Large Date Large Letters. The 3 is entirely recut.

I do not see any wear from the pictures, so it could be MS detail. If the coin is original, I doubt it would be in a PCI holder. Personally, I would not take a chance on it being original, or MS.

The late date CBHs are readily available in all AU grades, so stick with PCGS/NGC/ANACS/ICG.

My knee-jerk reaction is that this is one of the Lee sisters; her first name is Ug.

Seriously, that coin is a dog with little, if any, eye appeal to me. This series is relatively easy to find nice coins, so why would you mess around with something like that?