• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 CC opinions needed....

10 posts in this topic

Here we have an 1885 CC which I grade MS 64. Do you agree? If not then why? Have a look. Enjoy! Would you own a coin like this? All opinions welcome.

1028354-1885cc.jpg

Check out the cool die crack on the reverse

1028354-1885cc.jpg.668a98ef1102df6855664775457d33cd.jpg

Check out the cool die crack on the reverse

Very nice! It looks like it may also have a die clash on both sides...........note the mark on the obverse extending from her neck to the southwest and the v-shaped mark on the reverse between the eagle's wing and the wreath on the right.

Chris

I dont know if you can pull a 64 out of this coin. Most obvious is wear or Very weak hit on the breast feathers AND hairline. Breast feather weak strikes are pretty common ...both breast feathers AND hairline however I would be concerned. Also a lot of Obverse "marking" or "brushing" is very distracting and may sway a grader to the lower grade. The die crack on the reverse is pretty common and usually will not detract from grade but will not be identified on the slab because of its commonality. This is one of those if you can give two grades - Obverse MS63 Reverse MS64 - However the grader will lean towards the lesser of the two. Good luck and let us know if you get it graded.Nice coin nonetheless

Mike thumbsup2.gif

The die crack reminds me of the Randall hoard of large cents and I like that feature. The breast feathers don't look too weak to me, but the hair and ear look fairly weak. However, I am not a grader of Morgan dollars as I generally don't like the series. 893whatthe.gif

That coin wouldn't be for me as I think it likely dipped and, unless it has really killer luster, there doesn't seem to be any pizzaz to it, although it is a nice coin.

Chris... WOW some eyes..... That is a die clash indeed... I will take a blow up and see if someone can tell what it clashed with .... Thanks for pointing that out...

MS65 coin with a weaker than normal strike. MS64 is a satisfactory grade. In general, the grading services are lenient on CC dollars due to excessive bagmarks. So a bagmarked 1881S will be a MS61 while a CC dollar will be a MS63, etc. However, most CC dollars are well struck, so this loses a point due to that. The cheek is very, clean.

TRUTH

Chris... WOW some eyes..... That is a die clash indeed... I will take a blow up and see if someone can tell what it clashed with .... Thanks for pointing that out...

Bruce, the obverse clash is from the upper edge of the eagle's wing. The reverse clash is from the v-shape of the bonnet where it is drawn in by the cord.

Chris