• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magnifiers, what are your favorites?

12 posts in this topic

I am interested in buying a few good magnifiers for coins, but I do not know what types I should get. What do you think are the best magnifiers for various types of coin observation?

So far I have been recommended to get a Bausch and Lomb Hastings Triplet with 7x magnification for grading Mint State coins, and a similar Hastings Triplet with 14x magnification for cherrypicking, what do you think?

The triplets you mention are both good. I have a 7x and 10x. I also have a Zeiss D36 that has 6x and 3x lenses that can be combined for 9x. I like the wide view of the Zeiss and the 7x Bausch and Lomb.

Hoot

The Bausch and Lomb Hastings Triplet 7X and 10X are the ones I use, and I love them. They are very high quality optically. I use the 7X for grading and the 10X for cherrypicking or whenever I want to take a closer look at something on a coin.

John

I have the Bausch and Lomb 10X Coddington. But my favorite is a 5X lighted Eschenbach from Germany. The glass is big enough to look at a coin or note with both eyes. It also has a small white light in it, for looking at a coin out of the dealers case, in the bad light of the bourse floor!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In my experience, the Zeiss D36 is best . . . a large field of vision and no peripheral distortion at all.

You might also canabalize a lens from a microscope that is no longer in use. I did this with a Zeiss 10x and the optical quality is tremendous. I don't use it at shows for routine coin viewing, however, as I use one of those pocket Bausch and Lomb 5x pieces and it works great. One other thing to remember is that many people engage in what I consider "lens snobery" in that they think any lens is garbage if it isn't the best quality. This is not exactly true. I would venture that more money is lost in coins because of people who don't know what they are looking at based on a lack of knowledge than money lost by people who don't know what they are looking at based on poor optics.

I would venture that more money is lost in coins because of people who don't know what they are looking at based on a lack of knowledge than money lost by people who don't know what they are looking at based on poor optics.

Nothing could be more true! blush.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif

Hoot

Hoot, when I was writing that statement I was even thinking to myself that this should be blazoned across the coin boards! frown.gif

I have a ziess 10x that I got from SeanJ! (thanks!)

a pair of Anco's 10x and 17x that I like also.

I'd sure like to get a lighted stereoscope some day.

I use a 7x triplet by b&l. Basically the ANA special. It's great. After using a doublet for a long time, seeing coins through a triplet was like seeing the coin for the first time.

I currently use a 10x Hastings triplet with 18mm diameter. I want to get a 5-6x as well, for grading assessments. The Zeiss D36 Mr. Lange recommends sounds like my new first choice. smirk.gif

Beijim