• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does your boneheadedness affect you coin collecting/dealing?

11 posts in this topic

Hayden-----All of us like to think that we are experts. That we do not make mistakes. Unfortunately, this is not true. All thru my higher education I was continually reminded that, although I was a smart kid, many were much smarter than myself. The higher I went---the more that I felt that I did not know. After over 30 years in practice, I still felt that there was no way to know it all. I could have studied my whole life and still I would have been but a lonely sand crystal on the beach. Maybe as we grow older and hopefully wiser----maybe we can acquire a bit of humility. I sure hope so. So it is with coins. Study--study---study. Buy more books----study some more. Look at a thousand coins. Study some more. But, in the end, no matter how expert that you might become----you will still make mistakes. You will still need to read another book or look at a few more coins. The hobby grows within you as you become more knowledgable within the hobby. Bob [supertooth]

I've learned much more through my mistakes than through my successes (both of them grin.gif). There are some people, maybe many people, that are downright paranoid about screwing up, but it's when you mess up that you discover your limitations and the areas where you need to improve. This is true of coins and life, I suppose. After all, it's only money (at least the coins part)!

James

Hayden-----All of us like to think that we are experts.

Bob, there is no doubt that I am expert at being an amateur. That is why I love reading everyone's comments.

That we do not make mistakes.

Anyone who claims they have never made a mistake has never tried to do anything well.

Unfortunately, this is not true. All thru my higher education I was continually reminded that, although I was a smart kid, many were much smarter than myself. The higher I went---the more that I felt that I did not know. After over 30 years in practice, I still felt that there was no way to know it all. I could have studied my whole life and still I would have been but a lonely sand crystal on the beach. Maybe as we grow older and hopefully wiser----maybe we can acquire a bit of humility. I sure hope so. So it is with coins. Study--study---study. Buy more books----study some more. Look at a thousand coins. Study some more. But, in the end, no matter how expert that you might become----you will still make mistakes. You will still need to read another book or look at a few more coins. The hobby grows within you as you become more knowledgable within the hobby. Bob [supertooth]

Perhaps we should start calling Bob........."Plato" thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

PS Thanks to IGWT for sharing his self-portait.

That pitch was juuuussssst a little bit inside.

Boneheadedness got me into collecting unpopular coins, and it'll likely keep me collecting unpopular coins. grin.gif

PS Thanks to IGWT for sharing his self-portait.

That pitch was juuuussssst a little bit inside.

Boneheadedness got me into collecting unpopular coins, and it'll likely keep me collecting unpopular coins. grin.gif

You know you love us! stooges.gif

I just emailed John Maben. If you would, if you know him better than I do, can you contact him regarding this and bring him up to speed on what is happening? I'd appreciate it. How do you do PMs around here Hayden? confused-smiley-013.gif

I just emailed John Maben. If you would, if you know him better than I do, can you contact him regarding this and bring him up to speed on what is happening? I'd appreciate it. How do you do PMs around here Hayden? confused-smiley-013.gif

PM sent grin.gif

Thanx for all your help. As I recall we were discussing something you were interested in a while back, remember?

Yes,I was begining to wonder about that.I think I should get a pretty big discount since you took so long to get back to me! wink.gif