• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've a couple of toned nickels with fly specks...

3 posts in this topic

And I'm wondering if fly specks or carbon spots can be removed from the surface of a coin without hindering other features of toning, especially colors of the rainbow?

Waht specifially is a "carbon spot" and how is its removal different from that of other surface aberrations?

Thanks in advance, Hoot

Thanks for the question and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Nickels frequently get small spots, a.k.a. fly specs, carbon spots, etc... and there are many different causes, but in most cases they can be removed.

Most of the time the cause can be a simple as a spec of dust, which contains moisture and develops into a larger, unattractive spot over time.

Often we will remove the spot by itself, but in many cases the entire coin has residues that should be removed. To determine which treatment is needed, we would have to see the coin. If the spot has been on the coin long enough it may cause the underlying surface to be slightly discolored but this is much more common on copper coins.

Thank you Brian! I appreciate the response and I have about a dozen nice nickels to send you! smile.gif

Hoot